Travel to India with COS pending with USCIS

chayadevi

Hi All,

I need help with my situation. I have a valid H1 visa through September 2014 (No stamping on the passport though).

I quit my job in July and applied for Change of status from H1 to H4 with USCIS. I have not received an approval yet.

My questions are:

1. How long does it usually take to get the H4 approval?

2. I need to travel to India in September. Can i travel while the COS case is pending with USCIS? 

3. If i do travel, will i have problems while i return to the USA? Can i get my H4 stamping in India and the current application be void with USCIS?

Thanks for your help in advance.

1. How long does it usually take to get the H4 approval? Approx. 2.5 months

2. I need to travel to India in September. Can i travel while the COS case is pending with USCIS? You can not as you will generate a new I94 when you re-enter US. This will be different from the I94 you submitted for COS. Either travel after approval or abandon COS and apply for a H4 visa at US consulate & enter.

3. If i do travel, will i have problems while i return to the USA? Can i get my H4 stamping in India and the current application be void with USCIS? You can apply for a H4 visa at US consulate in India and enter. 

Thanks for your help in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived