Do I need to go for stamping, on a new passport ?

Prakash.Pantula

Hello All,

My case is as below. Last year I got my VISA stamped based on approved I-140 and the VISA validity is till Sept, 2014. However, my passport is expiring on Oct , 2013, so at port of entry, the I-94 was given till Oct 2013.

I got my passport renewed from Indian embassy at Houston. They cancelled my old passport and gave a new one. However, the visa that was stamped earlier is still there in my old passport and that is not cancelled. In this situation, if I travel to India , before returning back, do I need to go for stamping, as my new passport does not have the  VISA (its on old cancelled passport). I'm under an impression so far that, there is no visa stamping required as the original visa is still valid even though on old cancelled passport and I understand that I need to carry both passports all the time and had already planned to travel next month.

I have not changed my employer or the client since I got my  VISA stamped.

Please advise.Is my understanding incorrect? Do I need to go for stamping ?

Also, somebody told me that, since my I-140 is approved which indicates there is an intention of immigration, I can not and should not travel outside USA. Is this correct ?

Thanks

Prakash

Archived