Switching jobs on EAD

kps9

Hi,

I am currently working for Company x on H1B and my EAD is also approved. I need to change my job as there are some issues with Company x. Can I move to a new company and then file AC21 or I have to file AC21 first and then move to a new company? And also if my current company x is closed for some reason will that make me out of status right away. 

Thanks.

It's not clear from your description if you are eligible for AC21 portability. If you take a job on EAD, you will be out of H1 status once you stop working for your H1 employers.

My end client is still the same, all job responsibilities are same and also my 485 is pending for more than 1 year. The current employer company is having some issues so I don't want to take any risk by still continuing with them. Appreciate your advice.

Again, on EAD you can take any job you want. From your explanation, it's not clear if you are the principal applicant. AC21 is only applicable for the principal applicant. You need to review your situation with a lawyer because "some issues" you are mentioning may have impact on survivability of your application and whether AC21 is going to help it. If the new employer does not exptend your H1, you will be out of status when you stop working for your old employer.

Archived