How to refuse a company after acceptance

Hi,

I got two offers from company A and B.

I accepted offer from 'A' 3 days ago and they have just begun the premium H1b transfer process from my current company.

(I am not exactly sure at what stage they are. Not very far I guess because its been only 3 days since I accepted).

Today I have an offer from company B which is significantly better in terms of salary, brand and the work.

Now, I am not sure how I should say 'No' to company 'A'

I had tried my best to not say 'Yes' before I got both the offers but the first company really pressed me by setting an offer deadline etc.

I also do not know the status of my H1b transfer.

I think it is legal to have two companies file for an H1b transfer.

But I think if I say 'No' right now to first company, they might charge me with some fees for initiating their H1b transfer, maybe around $1000

Can you please advise how I can handle this situation?

I really want to join the other company, even if I have to pay $1000 to the first company.

Thanks a lot for your help,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am in the same situation right now. In fact the first employer (a contract job) filed a I129 and it is in the initial status now. My second offer that came in last week is a full time and a much better proposition. I have sent an email to the first employer requesting to withdraw the petition. 

I am on my F-1 OPT extension with approved H-1 (consular processing). Is the 'withdraw' procedure possible? Can I initiate it? 

Thanks!

Archived