H1Slaves

Hi Folks,

Here is my situation:

I94 expiry : 10/19/2013

Old passport expiry: 10/19/2013

Got new passport until 2023

H1B Visa expiry with employer A : 08th Aug 2013

I797 Petition with employer B ( my current employer): Oct 30th 2014

I've contacted CBP office in SFO and USCIS via phone.

Response from CBP was they will issue I 94 until passport expiry only and asked me to talk to USCIS and fill form I-539. They can't process extensions and will only work on corrections.

Talked to USCIS customer service, Was not very helpful.

I have read a lot in all forums and came to conclusion that I have 2 options:

1) visiting Mexico/Tijuana border before August 8th is my best bet.

2) Visit CBP in SFO/San Jose and try my luck saying my I 94 was incorrectly issued. ( altough it was issued until passport expiry)

Any guidance is appreciated. Please!

Thanks!

1. This is possible.

2. They will have a good laugh about this if you try. Maybe this will put them in the mood to give you a corrected I94.

Pontevecchio:

Thanks. Is option 1 only the option for extending the I-94 in this scenario? I would think there has got to be a better way of doing this. Travelling outside of US just for this sounds stupid.

I have read that my employer can apply I-129 but I dont understand why he would do that. I did receive the I94 card when my New H1 was applied until 2014.  So is this I94 not valid? Only the I 94 that was stapled to my Passport is accurate? Then what does the I94 that came along with H1B approval signify ?

I'm confused.

I am in a similar situation. I got my H1B stamped in Jan 2013, and it is valid till July 2014. When entering US, the officer noted that my passport is valid till December 2013, so he put the date of expiry of my passport on my I-94 as well. 

I am now planning to get my passport renewed here in US and will also be getting an H1B extension for another 3 years. How do I go about correcting the date on I-94?

You have obviously never been to Tijuana.

1. Make your way to San Diego.

2. Take the trolley to the border.

3. Cross the turnstiles and make a U-turn.

4. Pay 12 USD and ask for a new I94.

5. Return to San Diego via trolley.

6. Enjoy your trip.

When did you travel last? Have you never travelled after the extension?

You have obviously never been to Tijuana.

1. Make your way to San Diego.

2. Take the trolley to the border.

3. Cross the turnstiles and make a U-turn.

4. Pay 12 USD and ask for a new I94.

5. Return to San Diego via trolley.

6. Enjoy your trip.

When did you travel last? Have you never travelled after the extension?

Apprecaite the steps. I understand crossing border is not very complicated but was thinking there would be a streamlined process to get this done. 

I did travel to India twice last year. Its just that my passport was expiring around the time where I don't have trip planned.

Archived