H1B visa query...

profile1235

Hi All,

The status of my receipt changed recently to “Post Decision Activity”
On July 11, 2013, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I129 PETITION FOR A NONIMMIGRANT WORKER. Please follow any instructions on the notice. If you move before you receive the notice, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283

I had some questions,
1. I have a passport which is valid till 31st december 2014. Can people let me know when and how can i get my passport renewed. Can i renew it in US once i land there from indian embassy, is it possible to renew in the US embassy?
Or can i do it now before my h1b stamping? Renewing passport before h1b visa will not create any problems when i go for stamping with my renewed passport?
When should i go ahead renewing my passport?
2. Also as my passport is valid only till december 2014 will they approve my visa only till the date my passport is valid ( i.e, in my case its approx 1 year ) or the h1b approval will happen for the number of years my employer has applied for. For an example if my employer has filed my h1b visa for 3 years in my case will i get a visa for 1 year or 3 years?

thanks a lot for all your help..

1. I have a passport which is valid till 31st december 2014. Can people let me know when and how can i get my passport renewed. Can i renew it in US once i land there from indian embassy, is it possible to renew in the US embassy?

YES. You can renew in Indian embassy here

Or can i do it now before my h1b stamping?

Not required. Even though passport expires, stamped visas on the expired passport is valid as long as you have the renewed passport.

Renewing passport before h1b visa will not create any problems when i go for stamping with my renewed passport?

Better wait until you stamp, since you have till end of 2014

When should i go ahead renewing my passport?

Indian embassy has rules on when you can renew your passport. Check their site and follow the rules

2. Also as my passport is valid only till december 2014 will they approve my visa only till the date my passport is valid ( i.e, in my case its approx 1 year ) or the h1b approval will happen for the number of years my employer has applied for. For an example if my employer has filed my h1b visa for 3 years in my case will i get a visa for 1 year or 3 years?

H1b visa is usually issued not based on the number of years your employer asks for.

Archived