Change to H1 or J1

shrud

Hi, 

I sent my application for my OPT extension but USCIS received them late due to some USPS issues. My I-20 was issued on Mar 18, I signed it on Mar 25th and USCIS got my application on April 22nd which is more than the 30 day requirement. Currently my case is still in initial review, but I am fearing that it will be denied. My EAD card expired on June 15th, but I am continuing to working on the 180 period. 

My employer understands my situation and is ready to file for an academic H1  or J1, (since I work for the university) whichever is quicker and better. I know J1s have a 2 year home country residency requirement and I would not like to have that. He is okay with doing the expedited H1, where USCIS says it guarantees 15 calender day processing times. If my application is processed and approved within 15 days, can I work after that?

I would like to know what will be my best option. If my employer applies for academic H1 within a week, how long will it be till I get the visa. If my opt extension gets denied, I do have 60 days grace, will the denial affect my H1?

Also what is COS? Do I have to file for it separate of H1?

Please help. 

Thanks.

Archived