After DUI conviction , VISA renewal and future

arpmi

Hey I was recently arrested for DUI , it's my first offense my BAC level was .10  case is in court ,but I have to go back to  India as my work is over here, so should I go ahead and feel guilty my attorney is saying it take 1 year for DUI cases to get resolve.

I have valid H1-B VISA till Oct 2014 , can any body say how it's going to impact me in future ..I heard that it will be very tuff for me to get USA or any other country VISA if I got convicted in DUI.

Please share your experiences as I am going through so much  stress phase of my life.

• 4 weeks later...

Firstly, it depends in which US state you were charged with the DUI, as each state has different laws concerning DUI cases..

You may have to get a Good attorney (if you dont have one already) and ask him to convince the preciding judge to expedite your case given your immigration situation..

Alternately, if you HAD REFUSED to take the BAC test at the time of arrest, and you had to leave the country abruptly (as in this case)... there was a really good likelyhood of your case getting dismissed after 6 months.. :) 

Good Luck !

Hello Murthy, Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. here below is my situation.

I was arrested for first DUI(not in jail) in IL last year and pleaded guilty, completed all the post DUI proceedings, Now I have a court supervision for two years and my attorney says that I was not convicted for DUI but I was charged for it, I have saved alcohol assessment certificate, community service and two years of court supervision, case dismissed documents and I have my stamped visa till dec 2014. Now Iam planning for a two weeks trip to india. Please suggest if I can travel and what documents I need to carry to answer at port of entry.

1. what is charged instead of convicted.

2. Do I get any clearance letter from court, If so please name that document.

3. Is there a way that I can take a medical test before they suggest and I have recommendation letter from alcohol evaluation that I dont need that test..

Archived