Inconsistent usage of FNU

arthn

Hi, 

Although I'm sure everyone here understands the FNU usage, I will outline my case sequentially here for completeness: 

Passport:

Given Name: John Doe

Surname: <blank> 

F1 visa issued-

First name: FNU 

Last name: John Doe

White I 94 upon entry had the same naming convention.

Employed on OPT extension after school - 

EAD card reads

First name: No Given Name

Last Name: John Doe

Applied for H1B with employer A. I-797A issued. Both petition and attached I-94 have:

First Name: No Given Name

Last Name:John Doe

Applied for H1B transfer to employer B while still with employer A. I-797A issued. In both petition and attached I-94, it says:

First Name:John

Last Name:Doe

I intend to return to a consulate in India to get the H1B stamping done. My concern at this moment is if the inconsistency in naming convention between most recently issued I-797 A and all previously issued documents + passport is likely to cause an issue at the consulate or port of entry upon return? 

If this needs to be fixed, I understand that there are 3 options:

1. Get an amendment done to the latest petition to revert to the FNU name usage - Does anyone know what the timelines associated with this process is likely to be? 

2. Get passport reissued from the Indian consulate to have a name split done- Does anyone know what the timelines associated with this process is likely to be? 

3. Perhaps the problem is non-existent since passport #, date of birth and all other supporting particulars indicate that it's really the same person? 

As with everyone's immigration concerns, I'm also on a severely constrained timeline. Any advice/inputs/opinions are welcome and I will be immensely grateful. 

Thanks.

Archived