Is it legal to send GC in a mail?

Good Evening, I have recently received GCard for my parents and wanted to know if it is legal to mail (FedEx) them their cards to India. As processing took much longer than expected, they left USA and I wanted to mail their cards so that they can enter into USA showing their Parmanent Residence cards at immgration counter. Experts...Please advise.

Thank you.

Hmm, why did they leave the US?

As Permanent Residents, they actually have to live in the US.

It is NOT a good idea to send the GC by mail anywhere, in particular not abroad. If they left before GC approval, and they didn't have AP, they actually abandoned the GC, and trying to use it to enter would be immigration fraud.

You need to explain things more.

I apologize, I should have mentioned they left on AP. Now I received their GCs as it was under process when they left USA. If sending physical GCs by mail is not advised, what is the most reliable way to enter into the USA.

@JoeF - As Permanent Residents, they actually have to live in the US...Could you please clarify? I think they have to stay for number of days in a year (I assume around 180 days) to maintain their GC status?

PR's have to live in the USA and pay taxes on worldwide income. There is no concept of maintaining PR. That concept has gone with the DODO.  Send them the GC. That's not a problem. On the other hand they can return on AP and tell the Officer what happened. The problem is there are some stupid Officers and hence if you do this get a Lawyer involved first.

I apologize, I should have mentioned they left on AP. Now I received their GCs as it was under process when they left USA. If sending physical GCs by mail is not advised, what is the most reliable way to enter into the USA.

@JoeF - As Permanent Residents, they actually have to live in the US...Could you please clarify? I think they have to stay for number of days in a year (I assume around 180 days) to maintain their GC status?

They can just use AP to enter. At the POE, they should advise the officer that the GC was approved in the meantime. This kind of stuff happens all the time.

And Permanent Residents have to LIVE in the US. It is called "Permanent Residence" for a reason.

It is NOT and has NEVER been enough to just stay here for a certain number of days in a year.

Their HOME has to be in the US.

All trips abroad have to be temporary in nature. In other words, as Permanent Residents, their home is here and they can visit other countries, but they can NOT live in other countries.

To "maintain the GC status" they have to LIVE here.

If they live somewhere else, and just wish to visit the US for some time, they should not get a GC. A person who has a GC and lives abroad has abandoned the GC.

Please review http://www.murthy.com/2012/05/11/extended-travel-by-a-permanent-resident-part-1-of-2/ and http://www.murthy.com/2012/05/18/extended-travel-by-a-permanent-resident-2-of-2/

As discussed above, t's not illegal to send GC by mail. I am just curious as to why it is not advisable or as NOT a a good idea to send the GC by mail anywhere even if I send by most secured, insured FedEx mail.

Well, there is no record of them having left with the GC. Then trying to enter with the GC can result in problems.

They should enter with AP. Lots and lots of people have done that. There is no problem with that.

WRONG. They have to make the US their home. A GC is not a substitute for a visitors visa.

Archived