J1 waiver timeline - 2013 (Faster than I expected)

J1INDUS

I had to apply for a J1 waiver for my wife who was subject to the 2yr HRR due to an internship she did in the US in 2009. She is from Hyderabad and here's our timeline.

J1 Waiver Timeline 2013 (India)

Jan 21 2013 Mailed NORI application to Indian Consulate, Houston along with the passport and necessary fees

Jan 27 2013 Received attested NORI application copies from Indian Consulate

Jan 29 2013 Sent attested NORI application, cover letter to my father in-law in Hyderabad. I sent it through Fedex. Recd on Feb 2Did not want to take risk with USPS. He then mailed it from there to the respective offices - the MHRD, Hyderabad passport office and AP Home Dept. He followed up personally with the passport office and the home dept. to make sure the process was moving forward

Mar 28 2013 Passport office sent NOC directly to Houston consulate via email. My father-in law confirmed this from the passport office personnel. They did not give any form of paper confirmation. Just sent an email directly to consular officials. We were able to get the file reference no. from them just in case

Apr 12 2013 My father in-law was able to obtain a copy of the NOC from the AP home dept. They mailed a paper copy to the Houston consulate. On the same day, I also sent required documents to DOS

Apr 15 2013 I called up the Houston consulate to verify if they had received the email from the passport office. The lady on the other end just mentioned to send over whatever NOC proof I had. I tried to ask her if a scanned copy of the NOC obtained from the home dept will be enough along with the email NOC from the passport office. She said 2 out of the 3 NOCs should be enough

Apr 18 2013 Sent the scanned copy of 1 NOC along with email confirmation of other NOC and DOS case number page to Houston consulate

Apr 26 2013 Received NOC from Indian Embassy at home address

DOS updates:

Recommendation Sent June 06, 2013

No Objection Statement Received May 14, 2013

Fee Received April 30, 2013

Form DS-3035 Received April 30, 2013

Form DS-2019 Received April 30, 2013

Passport Data Page Received April 30, 2013

Statement Of Reason Received April 30, 201

Jun 13 2013 Received USCIS receipt no. by mail. Checked the very same day online to see to my surprise that USCIS had already approved the I612 petition

Jun 19 2013 Received the I612 approval through mail. Yayy!!! 

Comments: Try to use Fedex to send documents to India. Make sure someone in India follows up with your application. Only 2 NOCs are enough. No need to wait to get all three. Funny story: Today on July 2nd 2013, I got a document from the missing third link, the MHRD dept. stating that something in my NORI affidavit is not filled correctly. In the affidavit section, apparently they need a 'Yes' next to line items 2, 3 and 4. Strange!!! If there is a statement and you sign below it, it is automatically understood that you agree with the statement. Then what is the need to say 'Yes' next to the statement. Idiots!!!Thank goodness 2 NOCs were enough. This letter that the MHRD sent was signed 5/17/2013 and it reached me on 7/2/2013. The letter states that if I do not respond within 45 days of the date it was signed, I have to restart the NOC process with the MHRD. Well, it took 45 days for me to get the letter in my hand!!! Go figure..

• 1 month later...

It was really great to read about your wife's waiver application being processed so fast. It is a ray of hope for other applicants also. I am a PhD in chemistry and  was also on J1 from June 2008 to June 2011 and then I changed my Status to F2 dependent (as i was pregnant).  Now, to get H visa (H1 or H4) i need a waiver . i have already applied in India for the no objection statement. But I am seriously worried about the "STATEMENT OF REASON" in the application to DOS. I have read numerous posts on it n asked a number of people.....some attach a lot of importance to it but some say that it is not very important n one should try to give a simple statement. 

Actually, people who are already in the J1 programe told me that they wrote that "Their  project needs them to stay  here as if they leave the country  then the research will suffer and so they need a waiver to continue working...and all that".

But for me I am already out of the programme n right now I am full time mom, so I am really confused what to write. For me its plain n simple that I am a PhD n I want to work I just dont want to sit at home now that my daughter is 2 yrs I want to get back to work. 

I just want to know what you wrote in the statement of reason for your wife as her case looks similar as she did not apply for waiver while being in the J1 programe. Please suggest...it would be a great help.

Thanks

I had to apply for a J1 waiver for my wife who was subject to the 2yr HRR due to an internship she did in the US in 2009. She is from Hyderabad and here's our timeline.

Jan 21 2013 Mailed NORI application to Indian Consulate, Houston along with the passport and necessary fees

Jan 29 2013 Sent attested NORI application, cover letter to my father in-law in Hyderabad. I sent it through Fedex. Recd on Feb 2Did not want to take risk with USPS. He then mailed it from there to the respective offices - the MHRD, Hyderabad passport office and AP Home Dept. He followed up personally with the passport office and the home dept. to make sure the process was moving forward

Mar 28 2013 Passport office sent NOC directly to Houston consulate via email. My father-in law confirmed this from the passport office personnel. They did not give any form of paper confirmation. Just sent an email directly to consular officials. We were able to get the file reference no. from them just in case

Apr 12 2013 My father in-law was able to obtain a copy of the NOC from the AP home dept. They mailed a paper copy to the Houston consulate. On the same day, I also sent required documents to DOS

Apr 15 2013 I called up the Houston consulate to verify if they had received the email from the passport office. The lady on the other end just mentioned to send over whatever NOC proof I had. I tried to ask her if a scanned copy of the NOC obtained from the home dept will be enough along with the email NOC from the passport office. She said 2 out of the 3 NOCs should be enough

Apr 18 2013 Sent the scanned copy of 1 NOC along with email confirmation of other NOC and DOS case number page to Houston consulate

DOS updates:

Jun 13 2013 Received USCIS receipt no. by mail. Checked the very same day online to see to my surprise that USCIS had already approved the I612 petition

Comments: Try to use Fedex to send documents to India. Make sure someone in India follows up with your application. Only 2 NOCs are enough. No need to wait to get all three. Funny story: Today on July 2nd 2013, I got a document from the missing third link, the MHRD dept. stating that something in my NORI affidavit is not filled correctly. In the affidavit section, apparently they need a 'Yes' next to line items 2, 3 and 4. Strange!!! If there is a statement and you sign below it, it is automatically understood that you agree with the statement. Then what is the need to say 'Yes' next to the statement. Idiots!!!Thank goodness 2 NOCs were enough. This letter that the MHRD sent was signed 5/17/2013 and it reached me on 7/2/2013. The letter states that if I do not respond within 45 days of the date it was signed, I have to restart the NOC process with the MHRD. Well, it took 45 days for me to get the letter in my hand!!! Go figure..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, my wife is doing her PhD right now and is on her F1. All I wrote on her statement is that she plans to work in the US after completing her PhD and that she requires a waiver to do that. This was the gist of the message. Don't worry too much about your statement. Given that you have finished your PhD, it is only logical that you look for a job in the US in your field of expertise. Good luck and start the waiver process soon.

Dear Newbie,

Great to see your post. I am a PhD student. I have a job in Micron but I had visited the US on J1 and haven't fulfilled 2 year residency requirement. Can you please illustrate step-by-step J1 waiver process? I understand it will be lot of work from your side but it will really be of great help. Thanks.

Dear Newbie,

Great to see your post. I am a PhD student. I have a job in Micron but I had visited the US on J1 and haven't fulfilled 2 year residency requirement. Can you please illustrate step-by-step J1 waiver process? I understand it will be lot of work from your side but it will really be of great help. Thanks.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1296.html

Look at the above mentioned website and do it accordingly.

Dear Jairichi,

Thank you very much for the link.

One quick question: Can I send my attested affidavits to my relative, who can go to passport office, state home department and get NORIs himself? And then can my relative send me NORIs at my US address and finally I can send it to DOS from here. Is it possible? Or these NRIs have to come directly from the passport office, MHRD and state home? Thanks so much.

Dear Jairichi,

Thank you very much for the link.

One quick question: Can I send my attested affidavits to my relative, who can go to passport office, state home department and get NORIs himself? And then can my relative send me NORIs at my US address and finally I can send it to DOS from here. Is it possible? Or these NRIs have to come directly from the passport office, MHRD and state home? Thanks so much.

Yes, it is always suggested to do that. As most people agree that authorities will sit on your NORI application and will not move their finger. It would be nice if someone personally hands over the application and follows up regularly. Some of the authorities will send a copy of approved NORI to you and to Indian consulate. Once you get 2 or 3 NORIs then you would have to apply to Indian consulate that has jurisdiction in your state in US along with barcode of your DS3035 application. They would issue a single No Objection Certificate (NOC) and send a copy to you and Indian embassy, Washington DC. The Indian embassy would forward that to DOS and upon favorable recommendation it would reach USCIS for final decision.

When your NORI is being processed in India get your DS3035 form filled and get all required documents ready to send to DOS. I believe you know that once a waiver is approved you can stay on J1 till the last date on your DS2019 and after that you have to move to probably H1B

• 4 weeks later...

DOS updates:

Hi,

I applied for Stage I through Chicago Consulate and received 2 NOCs from A.P. State Government and MHRD. I never received a clearance certificate from RPO, Hyderabad but they did send an email to the Consulate directly. However, I am relocating to East Coast and would be applying for Stage III through Washington D.C. Consulate.  And the Washington D.C. Consulate is asking for a hard copy of the clearance letter from RPO, Hyderabad and is not ready to accept the information even from their fellow consulate.

I was just wondering if you can help me out in giving few details about the contact personnel at the RPO, Hyderabad to request them to issue a hard copy of the clearance letter or send an email directly to the Washington D.C. Consulate. I need to apply for the waiver ASAP as my current visa is expiring soon!

Thanks,

Srilu

Hi,

I applied for Stage I through Chicago Consulate and received 2 NOCs from A.P. State Government and MHRD. I never received a clearance certificate from RPO, Hyderabad but they did send an email to the Consulate directly. However, I am relocating to East Coast and would be applying for Stage III through Washington D.C. Consulate.  And the Washington D.C. Consulate is asking for a hard copy of the clearance letter from RPO, Hyderabad and is not ready to accept the information even from their fellow consulate.

I was just wondering if you can help me out in giving few details about the contact personnel at the RPO, Hyderabad to request them to issue a hard copy of the clearance letter or send an email directly to the Washington D.C. Consulate. I need to apply for the waiver ASAP as my current visa is expiring soon!

Thanks,

Srilu

If you are in the process of relocating get it done from Indian consulate at Chicago. They are very helpful and give you a final NOC with just 2 NORI documents.

If you are in the process of relocating get it done from Indian consulate at Chicago. They are very helpful and give you a final NOC with just 2 NORI documents.

I will be done relocating over this weekend. So I need to apply from Indian Consulate, Washington D.C. and they do need a hard copy of the Clearance Certificate from the RPO, Hyderabad. 

As you mentioned in your post that your did contact the Passport Office, I was wondering if you can let me know few details as - whom to contact, any particular personnel, if possible their name, contact details etc., 

Please let me know.

I will be done relocating over this weekend. So I need to apply from Indian Consulate, Washington D.C. and they do need a hard copy of the Clearance Certificate from the RPO, Hyderabad. 

As you mentioned in your post that your did contact the Passport Office, I was wondering if you can let me know few details as - whom to contact, any particular personnel, if possible their name, contact details etc., 

Please let me know.

You are still within the jurisdiction of Indian consulate, Chicago and you had applied for a NOC from Indian consulate, Washington DC. That is a mistake. You could still apply to Indian consulate, Chicago and leave a change of address online with USPS for $1 so that the NOC from Indian consulate, Chicago and Indian Embassy at Washington DC would be sent to your relocated address.

That being said there is no specific person to approach at passport office. You need to go there and speak to clerk in NORI section. At Chennai they refused to give NOC to my dad but they sent it directly to Indian consulate, Chicago.

At Indian consulate, Chicago when I went in person they gave me their NOC with two NOC's from Home ministry and MHRD (I am not sure whether the NOC from passport office reached them or not)

• 1 month later...

Hi Jairichi,

After I completed my DS 3035, there was a page "Third Party Barcode Page" that was to be sent to: 

U.S Department of State

CA/VO/L/W, Visa Services
 2401 E Street, NW, (SA-1)
 Washington, DC 20522-0106

However I could not find any information about this page. I fedexed this page to the address written above but they returned it.
Please advise. Thank you very much.

Hi Jairichi,

After I completed my DS 3035, there was a page "Third Party Barcode Page" that was to be sent to: 

U.S Department of State

CA/VO/L/W, Visa Services
 2401 E Street, NW, (SA-1)
 Washington, DC 20522-0106

However I could not find any information about this page. I fedexed this page to the address written above but they returned it.
Please advise. Thank you very much.

@Pal1: Mistake. You need to send this "third party bar code page" along with other required documents including appropriate fee to Indian consulate to proceed with stage III of J1 waiver process. Based on NOCs from relevant authorities, Indian consulate would issue a final NOC to be forwarded with your "third party bar code page" to Indian Embassy at Washington D.C and you would get a copy. Indian Embassy would forward it to DOS and then after that to USCIS for final decision. Hope this is clear.

• 2 weeks later...

Jairichi,

Hi! I received an NOC from passport office at my US address but I did not receive copies from MHRD and home state department. However, when I inquired they told that they have sent NOCs to Washington DC indian consulate directly. Can I send my documents to the indian consulate with just a single copy of NOC that I received from passport office? And mention that the MHRD and home state have sent my NOCs to indian consulate directly?

Thank you very much! Regards.

Jairichi,

Hi! I received an NOC from passport office at my US address but I did not receive copies from MHRD and home state department. However, when I inquired they told that they have sent NOCs to Washington DC indian consulate directly. Can I send my documents to the indian consulate with just a single copy of NOC that I received from passport office? And mention that the MHRD and home state have sent my NOCs to indian consulate directly?

Thank you very much! Regards.

Yes, you can do that. Make a copy for yourself of NOC from passport office before you send your documents to Indian consulate.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Jairichi,

Thanks so much for all your help. I went to Indian Embassy, Washington DC yesterday and got a copy of final NOC. Do I need to send it to DOS as a proof that Indian Embassy should have sent a copy to them directly? Or I just need to wait? Also, I was wondering how long will it take from now.

Best,

Pal

Hi Jairichi,

Thanks so much for all your help. I went to Indian Embassy, Washington DC yesterday and got a copy of final NOC. Do I need to send it to DOS as a proof that Indian Embassy should have sent a copy to them directly? Or I just need to wait? Also, I was wondering how long will it take from now.

Best,

Pal

You are welcome PAL1. Indian Embassy, Washington DC would forward a copy to DOS. It would take around a week for them to send to DOS.

• 1 month later...

Jairichi,

I have a quick question: The DOS received my No Objection Statement a month ago but they haven't forwarded it to the USIS yet. Should I contact them? Please advise.

Hey pal1/Jairichi, what was the address listed on the "Third party Barcode" page?

on mine:

Waiver review division

US dos

visa office-CA/VO/L/W

SA-17, 11th floor

600, 19th street, NW

Washington DC. 20522-1711

The reason i was asking because Indian embassy has issued the final NOC on january 6th and forwarded to DOS on the same day. But i don't see any update on the website with my case number. How long did it take for yours to get it updated on the DOS website?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks!

vasankg,

The address you have mentioned is correct. Mine was issued on Dec 23, 2013 and it appeared on the DOS website on January 09, 2014. I heard sometimes it takes 3-4 weeks to get updated on the website. In your case, since it's been more than 5 weeks, I would suggest you to please call/email the DOS and inquire. Best wishes.

Archived