What's the earliest date my wife can apply for H4 if my H1B starts on Oct 1st,2013 ?

zafar123

Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on F1 OPT status for a company in the US. My OPT expires in Mar 2014. I got my H1b approved this year in the lottery system  for 3 years starting Oct 1st, 2013. I'm planning to bring my wife on H4.

1) When is the earliest we can apply for my wife's H4 visa ? (I read somewhere online that you can apply 10 days before your H1B starts and travel only after H1B starts.)

2) I have been working for this company that filed my H1 for the last one year. Will the VO ask for H1B pay stubs or just the paystubs that I have on OPT  for the H4 visa interview? If yes, how many are required ? Is there a specific number?

Thanks in advance.

"I read somewhere online that you can apply 10 days before your H1B starts and travel only after H1B starts.)'

My kindest assumption is that reading glasses are called for.. Just Kidding. You read wrong. I suspect up to 90 days before your start date.

The VO may ask for anything to prove status though not H1 stubs as you cannot get H1 stubs before October. If you are joining a regular company she should have no problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks you pontevecchio for your response.

You said, "The VO may ask for anything to prove status though not H1 stubs as you cannot get H1 stubs before October. If you are joining a regular company she should have no problem."

What all documents can I show as proof of my H1B status ?

Archived