H4 to F1 COS: F1 stamping in India

gur12327

Hello,

I joined my school in spring 2013 on H4 in US. I changed my status to F1 in March2013.

I am planning to go to India for F1 stamping in July 2013. My husband's perm is filed but not yet approved. Husband H1 is expiring in aug 2014

What you guys suggest, should I take that risk.

What are my chances of approval or denial

THanks

Thanks for the reply, Shekar

Could you please guide me on one more question:

If they ask me, why you need to change to F1 when you can study on h4.

My possible answers are:

1. my husband h1b is expring in aug 2014, so i need to be on separate visa so that i can complete my studies (Not sure, if those guys will know that my husband perm is filled)

or i can say that

2. I have got assistantship in school, for which i need to be on F1 ( Which is true also).

Which one is better or what you guys suggest

Second option would be much better and makes more sense, for obvious reasons.

Btw, Do you have any proof for assistantship(Employment letter/graduate assistantship letter) from the university. I am also in the very same boat like you and I am trying to get my professor give me some sort of letter stating the same. Do you already fill out DS160 form?? 

I think if you have the letter, we atleast have a strong case to prove on why we want to convert to F1.

I  started my master's in Jan 2013(Spring) on H4 Visa and have taken courses in Spring/Summer(currently) and was offered assistanship from Fall 2013. 

So, I am planning to go to India to get visa stamped (as it would be quicker processes than doing COS within USA).

I filled out my DS 160 Forms and almost ready to book the slot but I was having couple of questions in there : I hope you would able to provide some advice here. Thank you

1. In DS 160 form , what Home Address should I put?? (I am currently staying in USA,Do I have to put USA address or enter India Address).

same question for Home Telephone number??

2. In the Education details section, I do not know if we can mention about master's degree.

I tired to enter details about master's and I have to fill in 'Program End Date' but this date cannot be a future date or empty. 

So, did you enter your master's degree details in there?? Please advice. Thank you.

1.I put the home address in india, as thats my permanent home address. It is also done to show that i considered India has my permanent home address. also india phone numbers where i can be reachable.

2.I mentioned about my current school in the first section of work/education where I write about my primary occupation  in which I mentioned "student" and about the school. I dont have to mentioned any future date and all

which section are you talking about , where program date needs to be mentioned

Thank  you for the information. I will do the same.

In the section "Work/Education/Training" we need to enter our previous work/education details.

here I entered my education details starting from secondary school. This is where I am trying to enter my master's information but this requires, "Date attendance from" and "Date Attendance To" and I cannot enter "date attendance to" as a future date(this has to be a future date as i am not done with my master's yet.) So, it looks like we do not need to enter details about master's program in this section.

One other question, did you enter 'intend date of arrival' details. In there, it asks for date of departure details,

what did you put in there,the 'course end date' as per your I20?? Thank you very much for the info and I really appreciate your help.

Hello, 

yes, Gur12327 was helpful to clear some of doubts,(even though the actual question was posted by her). Btw, I came back here to check if GUR12327 had attended visa stamping and willing to share her experiences. Will be greatly helpful, if can do that.

For me, my spouse and mother in law are the sponsors. my spouse stays in USA, does he need to fill I 134 form as "AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT".

What kind of "AFFIDAVIT of SUPPORT" can my mother in law show. Does it have to be notarized by an attorney/CA. For I20, my mother in law and spouse, filled in the university form that says "Affidavit of Support"(not notarized). Can I use this for my visa consulate.??. Please help!!

• 2 years later...

H4 to F1 and OPT Stamping in India(Delhi) Successfully.

I am writing for those who are sacred for opt stamping in India.

I came here on H4 and then status transfer to f1. I completed my Masters from not big college in san jose on August 2015 got my opt from 1st October 2015  valid till 1st October 2016.

I got job on 7th Dec 2015 and a Direct client from a consultant.I just now went India (April 106) and got my OPT (F1) Stamping done in dDelhi

Questions the consulate Asked-

1-Why this college?

2-What subject you took in college?

3-What Degree I have completed ?

4-Company name I worked for.

5-Client name.

6- Husband visa status(my Husband is on H1B and has his i 140 approved)

Document he asked for

1- Only I20 which my college gave me.(I informed my college that I will be traveling to india DSO approved my vacations and gave me my new i20)

2-EAD Card.

Let me Know if anyone has any questions.I will be more than happy to help.

H4 to F1 and OPT Stamping in India(Delhi) Successfully.

I am writing for those who are sacred for opt stamping in India.

I came here on H4 and then status transfer to f1.I completed my Masters from not big college in san jose on August 2015 got my opt from 1st october 2015  valid till 1st October 2016.

I got job on 7th Dec 2015 and a Direct client from a consultant.I just now went India (April 106) and got my OPT (F1) Stamping done in delhi.

Questions the consulate Asked-

1-Why this college?

2-What subject you took in college?

3-What Degree I have completed ?

4-Company name I worked for.

5-Client name.

6- Husband visa status(my Husband is on H1B and has his i 140 approved)

Document he asked for

1- Only I20 which my college gave me.(I informed my college that I will be traveling to india DSO approved my vacations and gave me my new i20)

2-EAD Card.

Let me Know if anyone has any questions.I will be more than happy to help.

• 1 year later...

Archived