CPT on Goldey Beacom

costaco

Just because it is not denied does not mean it is a good idea. Look at the FACULTY. Do you really want a haphazard education over one with PROFESSIONAL EDUCATORS.

Look at the degree program. Does everyone have to do something equivalent to the CPT you plan? If not, it is not part of the required curriculum.

Hi everyone, today I heard back from a reputable lawyer in New York. He told me that as long as CPT comes from a reputable university even starting from day 1 is fine. He also said that these days USCIS has to approve the CPT, therefore it's harder compared to 2010 - 2011 to fraud the CPT. Anyone has any relevant experience on this? He didn't know GB university but he thinks that since it's a non-profit university there shouldn't be any problem. Your feedback is welcome. Again, thank you all for your help.

Did you asked that lawyer why TUV, *******, **** universities were raided by ICE??

You cannot work on CPT from first day, that's 100% abuse of F1 program. If you still want to do it, then it's up to you.

Their are 100's of posts in this forum about CPT, if you want to kill you career then go for it.

Yeah, I asked him about those unis and he said that people abused CPT rules and that it was a combination of factors which led to that happening. He said that it wasn't for the CPT from day one alone. Also, the program doesn't require CPT. It's optional and you have to pay for it. I found that suspicious so I asked the lawyer and he said that paying for it alone isn't suspicious if it counts as credits for the degree. I am confused and I have no idea what to do.

Things became more confusing. I called another good lawyer from NYC and he assured me that there is no problem if the DSO follows all the procedures. He agreed with the other lawyer that paying for CPT doesn't sound suspicious if it counts as credit. On the other hand and after listening to everyone here I'm kind of scared and don't want to risk anything with my status. Any additional advice is welcome. Thank you all for your postings.

Things became more confusing. I called another good lawyer from NYC and he assured me that there is no problem if the DSO follows all the procedures. He agreed with the other lawyer that paying for CPT doesn't sound suspicious if it counts as credit. On the other hand and after listening to everyone here I'm kind of scared and don't want to risk anything with my status. Any additional advice is welcome. Thank you all for your postings.

What are you planning to do?? Want to go to school?? or work in CPT??

I just want to stay in the US and find a job to sponsor me next year.

Then CPT is for sure not for you.

Even an F1 is not for you, since an F1 is for somebody who wants to study, not for somebody who wants to bridge some time. For an F1, you have to have the intent to return to your home country after graduation.

You can find an H1 sponsor from abroad. In fact, a lot of multi-nationals send people from abroad to the US on L1 or H1.

I just want to stay in the US and find a job to sponsor me next year. Ideally gain some experience while I study.

Based on your earlier posts, you have already worked on OPT that means you gained some experience.

You cannot just simply stay in US without any status.

when you know that your OPT is about to expire, why didn't your employer filed your H1 this year?

Again, CPT won't help you in this case.

I understand what the law says and what an F1 is, but that doesn't mean that people don't abuse it. I'm confused though since the two lawyers I called said that there shouldn't be any problem if I go with CPT. I don't want to be a hypocrite. I could have said that I want to study. Would that change your answer in favor of the CPT? Again, I would like to stay here. There's really nothing to do back in my country. My company missed the filling period time this year. Then obviously I had to quit my job. And of course I know that a US degree doesn't secure you a US job. I just stated the need to stay here. I know and understand all of the things that you have mentioned but please try to put yourself in my shoes.   

I understand what the law says and what an F1 is, but that doesn't mean that people don't abuse it. I'm confused though since the two lawyers I called said that there shouldn't be any problem if I go with CPT. I don't want to be a hypocrite. I could have said that I want to study. Would that change your answer in favor of the CPT? Again, I would like to stay here. There's really nothing to do back in my country. My company missed the filling period time this year. Then obviously I had to quit my job. And of course I know that a US degree doesn't secure you a US job. I just stated the need to stay here. I know and understand all of the things that you have mentioned but please try to put yourself in my shoes.   

Understand that.

But you have no options. Either go to school as full time student or pack your bags. As immigrants we have limited options and have to utilize the given opportunities

Why would you pursue a course of study that is of no use in your home country? You stated that you intended to return there after you finished your studies in order to obtain the F1 visa. Are you admitting you lied and that it was always your intent to remain in the US?

You do not NEED to stay in the US; you WANT to stay. You were a student and need to do as you stated you intended to do before you came - GO HOME. Once you have a guest worker job that qualifies for a visa, you can return with the intent that you MAY be allowed to remain IF no USC or LPR is qualified for and wanting the job you are holding when an employer tries to file for a GC for you.

All that does NOT allow you to break the laws! 

In your shoes I would return to the home country.

Feel sorry for the situation...Why dont you try Canada or someother country?

• 1 year later...

I am in a similar situation and would like to know what was the final decision? did you join and did you have any issues?

I am in a similar situation and would like to know what was the final decision? did you join and did you have any issues?

Stay away from that institution. Abuse of CPT will come back to bite you.

People get RFEs and denials left and right for abuse of CPT.

Find a REAL university! Concentrate on the studies. And forget about CPT!

Archived