CPT on Goldey Beacom

costaco

Hi there. I recently finished my OPT after my Master program and a friend of mine told me that since I didn't find a sponsorship this year I should continue my studies in a second Master program. He suggested that I enroll in *********** which also offers CPT starting in July. I wanted to check if anyone had any information about the university and if there had been any known issues. The major reason is that the university is cheap and offers CPT too. I researched a bit and found that it is a non-profit university. Is this a good sign? All advice is welcome.

I had never heard of this institution until postings on this forum. A US degree was NEVER a guarantee of a US job. CPT is only part of a legitimate curriculum and not to work some arbitrary job - like continuing your current OPT.

You would be better served by going home and working so your experience would get you H1B sponsorship; an unrecognized university is a waste of money.

It is primarily adjunct faculty - a sign of a sub-standard institution.

Hi there. I recently finished my OPT after my Master program and a friend of mine told me that since I didn't find a sponsorship this year I should continue my studies in a second Master program. He suggested that I enroll in *********** which also offers CPT starting in July.

BAD suggestion.

CPT is NOT and has NEVER been for work in some arbitrary job.

Stay away from any university that advertises CPT. They are ALL shady.

Real universities don't advertise CPT.

CPT is essentially dead. Signing up there with CPT will pretty much end your future in the US.

Hi guys, thanks for the information you both provided. Your help is crucial. If I leave the US though, will I be able to come back at some point with a tourist visa and get a job? And how will I convince a recruiter to sponsor me and wait till October till I can start working? I mean are there any recruiters willing to do such a thing? Again, thanks for your help guys.

Hi there. I recently finished my OPT after my Master program and a friend of mine told me that since I didn't find a sponsorship this year I should continue my studies in a second Master program. He suggested that I enroll in *********** which also offers CPT starting in July. I wanted to check if anyone had any information about the university and if there had been any known issues. The major reason is that the university is cheap and offers CPT too. I researched a bit and found that it is a non-profit university. Is this a good sign? All advice is welcome.

I think you need to know why ICE has raided few univ's couple of years ago. Looks like this univ will be the next.

CPT is part of your F1 program, that means if any course for that semester req's 'Practical' knowledge then you work in CPT and simultaneously you will attend the school.

You cannot work for any job in CPT. If you do so, then you have to forget US.

Hi guys, thanks for the information you both provided. Your help is crucial. If I leave the US though, will I be able to come back at some point with a tourist visa and get a job?

A tourist visa is not for getting a job.

An employer would have to file an H1 for you, and you can enter with an H1 visa when the H1 starts.

And how will I convince a recruiter to sponsor me and wait till October till I can start working?

The same as they do now.

Lots of people who had H1s filed for them are abroad.

Hi guys, thanks for the information you both provided. Your help is crucial. If I leave the US though, will I be able to come back at some point with a tourist visa and get a job? And how will I convince a recruiter to sponsor me and wait till October till I can start working? I mean are there any recruiters willing to do such a thing? Again, thanks for your help guys.

1) Coming on tourist visa and search for job is wrong. And it will be consider as a red flag for all future stamping/GC processing. So dont go thru this route.

2) Go back, and join a good company in your field of study, gain some experience. And then apply for H1b, i am sure if your application is right, you will get Job->H1b->entry.

Many desi consultant firm take advantage of this desperation and do illegal stuff, keep yourself away from them. Some wait is better than wrongdoing, this is my experience.

Many desi consultant firm take advantage of this desperation and do illegal stuff, keep yourself away from them. Some wait is better than wrongdoing, this is my experience.

I agree with the Desi employers exploiting the weakness of their fellow countrymen....anways I would like to listen to your experience.

Thanks for your comments but now I am more confused than before. rahul412 said that you cannot work for any job in CPT. Then what is CPT for? I thought that CPT is to gain experience through an internship. Second, how am I supposed to apply for H1B if I don't find a company which is willing to sponsor me? From what I know, you have to find a company which is willing to sponsor you. And even if you do you will need to fly here, have some interviews, etc. Therefore I can't understand how the remote thing will work. And also I don't know how many companies would be willing to wait until October for an applicant to start working. Thanks again fellas.which

And of course some shady colleges as well. It is like printing money for them... Until they get raided...

Find a well respected multi-national company. That will give you the best opportunity for an international posting. That what my USC child did. His company needed someone with his expertise at one of their non-US locations and asked him to go. They assisted with relocation and pay him a great salary and benefits; he has stayed on for another posting term and then will relocate back to the US in a great position to move on in the company. He has no desire to take up permanent residency in his host country but would be willing to go to another international office - perhaps in the Far East - if given the opportunity.

The point is take a path that is good for your entire career and not just a job in the US.

Thanks for your comments but now I am more confused than before. rahul412 said that you cannot work for any job in CPT. Then what is CPT for? I thought that CPT is to gain experience through an internship.

No, it isn't

CPT is for work, e.g., in an internship, as INTEGRAL PART, i.e., as REQUIRED part of the curriculum.

If you want to gain experience, e.g., in a summer internship, there is pre-completion OPT for that.

CPT is definitely NOT for that.

DO NOT aubse CPT. In fact, forget that CPT exists. Real, legitimate CPT is very rare.

All these "CPT from day one" advertisements are fraud!

I asked my friend again and he said that he didn't have any problem with his H1B(although this was back in 2010). He said that the university is a non-profit, accredited and therefore it is legit. He said I shouldn't worry about it since it's accredited. I don't even know what this means. Any idea guys?

Thanks for your comments but now I am more confused than before. rahul412 said that you cannot work for any job in CPT. Then what is CPT for? I thought that CPT is to gain experience through an internship. Second, how am I supposed to apply for H1B if I don't find a company which is willing to sponsor me? From what I know, you have to find a company which is willing to sponsor you. And even if you do you will need to fly here, have some interviews, etc. Therefore I can't understand how the remote thing will work. And also I don't know how many companies would be willing to wait until October for an applicant to start working. Thanks again fellas.which

i have already explained you what is CPT? Your understanding about CPT is correct. But some people work as FTE in CPT which is not allowed as per rules and moreover they work at the location which is miles far away from the univ which is also not allowed in CPT since a student has to attend school during CPT.

CPT is just like a course which is equivalent to 3credits more or less.

I asked my friend again and he said that he didn't have any problem with his H1B(although this was back in 2010). He said that the university is a non-profit, accredited and therefore it is legit. He said I shouldn't worry about it since it's accredited. I don't even know what this means. Any idea guys?

It's not about accreditation, its about the F1 rules.

Again, CPT work should be the part of your F1 program.

For more information, just google CPT abuse universities. You will have clear understanding.

I asked my friend again and he said that he didn't have any problem with his H1B(although this was back in 2010).

In the past, people may have gone away with it.

But that was before the raid on TVU (which was in Jan. 2011(, before **** and *******.

Nowadays people are getting RFEs and denials.

Accreditation is one thing, but CPT abuse is another. And CPT from day one is abuse of the CPT rules.

Stay away from that institution.

That was then and this is now. There are more issues than a visa. A poorly respected institution is a waste of money; only poor companies will accept these degrees. If you cannot get into a better school, go home and get better preparation and come back when you qualify for a better university.

What about your current university, is it accredited?

If your case comes under scanner, ur friend is not going to help u, and you can't say "he said" so i did? For 100% certainty contact murthy attorney team, its not that expensive when you compare to career.

Don't just rely on forum (as you may get right answers but they might not match to what you want to hear)

Ok, what everyone describes makes me think that I will call an attorney. Can you suggest anyone? And how much will the cost be in this case. Any estimation? I can't go back to my country and get better qualifications since that's not the whole point of it. I studied at a top US institution (NYU) but couldn't secure a job and therefore I want to stay in the US. I don't care about CPT, I don't even mind working. All that I want is a way to stay here and keep trying for next year. It's tough, but going back is not an option. My friend just told me that it would be good to work meantime. Anyway, I appreciate everyone's help

Hi everyone, today I heard back from a reputable lawyer in New York. He told me that as long as CPT comes from a reputable university even starting from day 1 is fine. He also said that these days USCIS has to approve the CPT, therefore it's harder compared to 2010 - 2011 to fraud the CPT. Anyone has any relevant experience on this? He didn't know GB university but he thinks that since it's a non-profit university there shouldn't be any problem. Your feedback is welcome. Again, thank you all for your help.

The issue is "reputable university." This particular one is not an overly reputable university, it is 4th-tier at best.

Reputable university means something like a public university or a top private one (think Stanford, USC).

Archived