Travel to India. Do i need to visit consulate to get H1B extension stamped

bkranthi4u

Hello ,

I want to understand if I need to visit US consulate to get my H1B visa ( extension ) stamped on my passport.

My original H1B visa is valid thru Sep-2013. ( I got this with my previus employer). when I transferred to my current company I got H1B approved up to Sep-2015( on I-797).

I am planning to travel to India this May/june for just 1 week. Do i need to visit a consulate to get my H1B visa stamped again ?

Can i re enter US on my previous H1B Stamp and current I-797.?

Thanks,

kranti

Your previous H1B may get revoked if you have left your previous company. They are required to do that by law. Your current H1B approved by a different company and valid upto Sep 2015 will need to be stamped at the US Consulate in India, since you will be leaving the country. You would need to have both I-797 and current visa on your passport, its safer, otherwise you may risk getting denied entry at POE.

If your visa is still valid, you need only proof of position (approval notice) to return. Since your time is short in India, you probably do not want to waste a day getting a new stamping like would be a good idea if you were going to be there longer,.

Archived