H4 to F1 - Spouse Approved I-140

angie.nayar

Hi -

I have an admit from a reputed B-School in the US. I am currently on H4 VISA and planning to apply for change of status from H4 to F1 in the US. My husband has an approved I-140.

Questions:

1. Will this create a problem?

2. I have also been asked by my school to submit a letter of intent stating that I intend to go back to my home country. Does any body have a sample letter to share (especially from anyone who had an approved I-140 when Change of status was applied)?

I am self-sponsoring myself and only ties that I can show is my bank account in India. My parents are also living in India.

Please advise.

Regards,

Angie.

1) Might create a problem...but why wouldnt you want to study on H4..you dont need to convert to F1...just in case if you werent aware of.

2) Havent hrd of any condition like this before. How can that be reputed B School then....sounds like a mom n pop school here. Your signing the document doesnt hold as your husband already filed for Immgration status.

Omshiv -

This is not a requirement from the school. Actually it is a requirement of F1 visa - just so you did not know about it....

Also, suggestions are welcome and not mud slinging... Thanks for your understanding in advance....

Anybody else here have any suggestions for Cover letter to USCIS for H4 to F1...

Guest Noah Lotte

what possible excuse can you give for returning to India after your studies instead of living with your spouse? A bank account? An acre of land? those are not ties. A boiler plate letter stating."Dear Vo: I truly promise to return to India to live and work, and will happily abandon my spouse and his pending green card so I can earn $50 a month living in a developing country instead of the US of A...."...really? Who would believe this?

Omshiv -

This is not a requirement from the school. Actually it is a requirement of F1 visa - just so you did not know about it....

Also, suggestions are welcome and not mud slinging... Thanks for your understanding in advance....

Anybody else here have any suggestions for Cover letter to USCIS for H4 to F1...

If this is not a school req, then you can go to school on H4. Do you know that??

Guest Noah Lotte

any such letter is a joke. How do I know? Simple. What is the penalty if the OP does not return to India, to live and work, as outlined in such a letter, according to either US or Indian law?

Answer: none. Therefore, a letter like this has no more value than two week old newspaper.

Archived