Do I need to renew my passport before applying for F1?

Ashishn123

Hello,

I am working in USA on a L1B. I have got an admit from an USA university and the program starts in August 2013. I am planning get a F1 stamped in May/June 2013. However my passport expires in Feb-2014 (6 months after program starts).

1) Do I need to renew my passport before applying for F1? Its a 2 year program

2) Is change of status from L1 to F1 more advisable than F1 stamp from India ?

Thanks,

Ashish

Hello,

I have also been admitted to a US university, with classes beginning in early August. I have a few follow up questions to the ones from Ashish above - along the same lines.

1. The US immigration website states the below for visa applications:

Passport valid for travel to the U. S. - Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the U. S. (unless exempt by country-specific agreements). If more than one person is included in your passport, each person who needs a visa must submit a separate application.

My passport is valid until the end of 2014. Do I need to get it renewed, or will I be able to apply and get my F-1 visa stamped for the full duration of the course with my current passport itself? This is a 2 year course, which will end in August 2015.

2. If I need to get my passport stamped - I read on the Indian consulate website that passports can only be renewed within 1 year of expiry. Since I have more than a year's validity left, will they consider any special circumstances, and process my renewal?

3. I read in other threads that COS usually takes somewhere between 2-3 months. I need to change from L-1 to F-1. Given that it is May already, and I have not received my university !-20 yet, would it be a safer option to get my F-1 stamped in India?

Archived