Travelling to USA on H4 along with father-in-law who is on visitor visa

ma6878

I am planning to travel to USA with my father in law. I am on H4 and my father in law has visitor's visa. At POE, do we go as 1 family with 1 customs form OR we go as 2 families with 2 customs form? My 2 year old daughter who is a US citizen will also be travelling along with me and my father in law.

The cbp.gov site mentions that "If you are traveling with other immediate family members, complete one form per family unit." Does immediate family member include my father in law.

More info, my husband is already in USA. I live in the USA and have come in many times on H4. My father in law has visited us many times before on visitor's visa. Just that before this time he has never travelled along with me or my husband.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You can definitely go along with your father-in-law. I once entered with my friend's mom and had the same confusion. The CBP officer asked both of us to come together even though we weren't related. I was just helping her filling forms and stuff. So, looks like you go together, if you wish too. CBP officers seem to like it. I don't know about the USC daughter. No experience there.

Archived