I485 Pending and got Laid off

SSSS4

Hi,

I am presently on H1B and while My EAD is approved till Feb 2015, got laid off recently. I had following questions:

1. What is my legal status now?

2. If I want to use my EAD, what is the time frame within which I have to seek a job (in other words, how long am I allowed to find a new job in the country without harming my GC process)

3. I am the primary applicant on my GC .. Will my lay off affect my spouse's (secondary applicant's) status?

4. I have an impending travel plan to home country (family related reasons). Is it safe to travel interim.

5. During reentry to USA, what kind of questions/documents will be asked in POE.

Thanks,

SR

1. Awaiting AOS.. 2. You are not under any compulsion to look for a job. You may have the EAD and not work. 3. No. 4. Yes. 5. Secondary inspection and parole. Re-entry based on AP is automatic though a bit more time consuming. Now tell me what is the status of the job for which the GC was applied for. Also please let a Lawyer guide you. You will only be benefited.

Folks I am also in a similar situation. I have spent more than 180 days waiting for my I485 approval. I guess I can change jobs now. But what will my new employer need to do. As you know most employers are uncomfortable if they have to do any visa processing or work authorization related work.

Archived