Renewed H1B this year, and need advice going forward

rahul12345

Hello,

I renewed my H1B for the first time this year. I had to leave US 8 months before my first H1B expired, due to job loss. My present employer might consider filing my green card in future. I am not sure how much time i have to file for green card or about the various things i need to take care of along the way.

My second concern is that I left behind credit card debt when i had to leave US about 2 years ago. I was wondering if that debt might be of concern at the port of entry. Also, how do I negotiate with these credit card companies in near future. I am not in a position to make a down payment and clear all debt immediately. I will need some time to settle in US and build some bank balance to start repaying the debt.

I would appreciate any advice and suggestion you might have.

Thank you.

Rahul

Generally it is advisable to start the PERM process as soon as possible. However, at the very latest, you will want to file your Labor Certification prior to starting the last year of your allowed six years of H1B time. Due to the complexity of the process it is advisable to speak directly with a qualified U.S. immigration attorney. Also, generally speaking your credit card debt will not be a concern at the point of entry.

Thanks Attorney_22 for the advice. I am not sure how to deal with the credit card debt, I am 2 years overdue on payments, and given the interest rates that might have accumulated over last 2 years, the amount might be few times of what i originally owed to the credit card companies. How do I negotiate with them?

As far as Credit card debt goes...it should not be an issue at POE.

The debts might have already gone to Collection Agencies. Unfortunately your credit rating has also crashed and will gradually pick up as you make the payments.

Talk with the collection agencies about monthly part payments. They will agree to it.

It may not affect entry but will affect your chance of getting apartment, car, and perhaps even a job. Someone who cannot manage money is often seen as irresponsible and a poor choice for a responsible job. You could have continued to pay your debt after you left. Why should others be responsible for your choices to spend what you did not have?

Archived