Travelling to US on H1 with Wife Pregnant into 14 weeks

thescorpion

Me and my wife were issued H1 and H4 visa respectively in India recently and we will be traveling to US in a few weeks, mostly by End of May. By then, my wife will be in the 14th week of pregnancy. Now I am all apprehensive about the travel, so thought of checking with you about suggestions/issues if you faced a similar situation in the past.

I will be working for a new company in US which is into contracting mode of work. Now on the insurance part, I have the option to enroll the company’s group medical insurance however these policies will be effective only after 30 days of my start date with them.

My queries -

1) Is there any issue with my wife travelling during this pregnancy? Do I need to get any certificate from the doctor in India

2) How difficult is to find a doctor and continue the consultation from 14th week onwards

3) Will the Insurance company provide coverage for the pregnancy related expenses

4) Is there a chance that the insurance company may not cover this since it’s a pre-existing pregnancy

5) If Insurance Company will not provide cover, then what are my options here? I am aware of the huge bills without the coverage, what else can be done

6) Now during the first month where the Insurance will not be covered, are there any Insitutions in US who provides temporary coverage for a month?

And lastly, any advice or suggestions for a pregnant lady to travel to US for the first time. What are the things she need to take care, and all.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

The Scorpion

1) Is there any issue with my wife travelling during this pregnancy? Do I need to get any certificate from the doctor in India

=> Until 27 weeks, no certificate is needed in USA(US law). Not sure about India. Generally speaking 14 weeks pregnancy should not be a problem.

2) How difficult is to find a doctor and continue the consultation from 14th week onwards

=> It should not be a problem. Meanwhile, search the doctor and hospital with your employer's group insurance. You can directly call to insurance and get details.

3) Will the Insurance Company provide coverage for the pregnancy related expenses?

=> If you are covered, yes.

4) Is there a chance that the insurance company may not cover this since it’s a pre-existing pregnancy

=> In group health coverage, pregnancy is not a pre-existing condition in USA. Check it with the insurance.

5) If Insurance Company will not provide cover, then what are my options here? I am aware of the huge bills without the coverage, what else can be done

=> If insurance company will not cover, you need to pay the bills. It comes between $20,000 to $40,000 depending on state of residence and C-section or natural birth. Some states (like CA) also provide assistance, check it with states.

6) Now during the first month where the Insurance will not be covered, are there any Institutions in US who provides temporary coverage for a month?

=> Yes, you can get small term insurance on you own. Search it online, call them.

Before taking any decision, know your insrance company, call them. All the best.

1. No. But prudence dictates that she talks to her OB/Gyn. 2. It depends based on location. Look up the Group Insurance online and also SPECIFICALLY ask HR or the person dealing with Insurance matters. 3. Yes, within the limits of the policy. Hence read the policy. Ask for details from HR. 4. Since by definition Pregnancy is always pre-existing the matter is moot. Group Insurance policies are quite a good idea in most cases. 5. Ask HR. Do not accept a job without adequate insurance. ASK specifically. Pester them by email and insist on answers to your questions. 6. Look up TATA etc. for temporary cover. Medical opinions are outside the remit of this forum. Ask her Doctor. Most Airlines allow travel up to 28-30m weeks. Most Pregnancies tend to be routine and you owe it to her to make sure you guys are covered if at all necessary.

Just make sure with your company and insurance company, whether insurance company will allow to add your wife in the insurance for pregnancy related expense. Because one of my friend had exactly same situation and his insurance company did not allow & he had to send his wife back to india for delivery, because here in USA without insurance cost is way way much more.

My wife had c-saction and we got total bill around $45,000, my other friend's wife had c-saction with critical condition of baby and he got bill around $190,000 (yes, one lack ninty thousand dollar). Thankfully we had insurance.

I do not want to scare you but just wanted to make you aware about pregnancy expenses. Without insurance it is very very costly.

Dear members

Thank you so much for your replies and valuable inputs.

I am currently checking with my company’s group insurance company if they will cover the pregnancy. Also what type of cover they providing, PPO or HMO. We are also consulting with our Gynec in India, she is absolutely fine with my wife's travel. She says its not at all a problem.

I think I should go for 2-3 stop journey, preferrably via Europe, so that she can relax a bit during the stop-over time.

Also wanted to know few things

1) Which type of policy is better - PPO or HMO

2) As an alternate optiion, I am thinking to travel alone to US for first time and my wife will join me one month later. Now during this month, can the insurance be activated for her, without her being present in US

3) or, can I enroll both of us in the insurance plan from India now?

I am not scared, rather you helped me. I am aware of the very high expenses, hence wanted to clarify all the doubts.

Thanks again for your help.

thescorpions

Dear t75

thanks for the inputs.

I checked with the insurance company, they said its a Aetna PPO Medical Plan. Also here are the other points the company mentioned

• Coverage is effective the first of the month following the hire date entered on your enrollment forms.
  • Coverage for dependents listed on the initial enrollment form would be the same as for the employee. Coverage for dependents enrolled after the employee’s enrollment would be the first of the month following the date of the qualifying event (such as lost of coverage because moved to U.S.).
  • Pregnancy is not considered a pre-existing condition for purposes of a waiting period.
  • You can enroll your wife on your initial enrollment form even if she has not moved to the U.S. However, coverage outside the U.S. is limited to emergency and urgent care only

So does it mean Pregnancy is covered and expenses as well? regarding the travel, I am still not sure whether she should travel with me. Though this is not my first travel to US (was there from 2007 to 2010), but for my wife its the first.

Thanks

Since insurance will start the month following your reporting to work, plan so that you report in last week of month. That way you will remain uncovered for at most a week or so.

It is better to travel together. In this condition, it might be difficult for her to travel such long distance alone

Archived