DUI & H1B Stamping

barvojr9

Hi,

I apologize if this topic has been discussed in the previous post but I was not able to find the answers for my questions . if there is a similar post kindly guide me to that topic.

-----------------

I have completed my Masters program here in USA and my employer has filled for my H1b which was approved last year and now i would like to get my Visa stamped.

Sadly I was arrested for a DUI offense in Nov 2010 and later after several appearances in the court, the case was reduced to Reckless Driving by the Judge . I have completed all the formalities pertaining to the DUI offense and Now I would like to go for my H1b Stamping for which i have below questions :

1.Can i get my visa stamping done in Canada. ?

2.What kind of paperwork would i need to carry along with me for the Visa appointment ?

3.Is there any background check i would need to get done in USA before i leave for stamping ?

4.I have read in another forum that i would need to get a check from the FBI with fingerprinting, is that necessary?

Any help on this is very much Appreciated . Thank you

First of all, Canada is very strict when it comes to DUI offenses. I believe you will need to disclose the arrest when applying for the Canadian visa (assuming you are not a Canadian citizen,) and then file for a waiver. (I am not a Canadian attorney, but I have had enough clients running into this issue when going to Canada to at least have a general understanding of the rules.)

As for your U.S. visa, in most cases, a single DUI does not make a person inadmissible to the U.S. However, without reviewing the documents, I cannot say that for certain. (You can schedule a consult with one of our attorneys if you would like someone to review the documents.) Beyond that, you will definitely need to bring all of the documents to your visa appointment. You do not necessarily have to obtain an FBI fingerprinting check when applying for an H1B.

First of all, Canada is very strict when it comes to DUI offenses. I believe you will need to disclose the arrest when applying for the Canadian visa (assuming you are not a Canadian citizen,) and then file for a waiver. (I am not a Canadian attorney, but I have had enough clients running into this issue when going to Canada to at least have a general understanding of the rules.)

As for your U.S. visa, in most cases, a single DUI does not make a person inadmissible to the U.S. However, without reviewing the documents, I cannot say that for certain. (You can schedule a consult with one of our attorneys if you would like someone to review the documents.) Beyond that, you will definitely need to bring all of the documents to your visa appointment. You do not necessarily have to obtain an FBI fingerprinting check when applying for an H1B.

Attorney_23- Question to you. when it comes to criminal issues of H1,which attorney in murthy is profeciant in this,though there are many.

The receptionst say choose an attorney but as a customer we have no clue whom to pick.Pleas suggest 2-3 attorneys who hav enough experience in H1 cases related to criminal problems

Attorney_23- Question to you. when it comes to criminal issues of H1,which attorney in murthy is profeciant in this,though there are many.

The receptionst say choose an attorney but as a customer we have no clue whom to pick.Pleas suggest 2-3 attorneys who hav enough experience in H1 cases related to criminal problems

Attorney Christopher Drinan and Attorney Anna_Stepanova probably have the most experience in the firm when it comes to dealing with criminal matters and their immigration consequences.

• 3 weeks later...

I am travelling to India and would require H1B stamping.

I got a dui in CA ( but reduced to Speed Contest) in Sept 2011.

I also have 2 yrs probation

Will i be able to travel outside US while on Probation ?

For the stamping, i see in the forums that i would be given a 221g and would require to meet a panel physician.

How long does this normally take and when would i receive the passport with the visa stamped ?

Please share your experience and advice

• 7 months later...

Archived