Reentered NYC with History

mohit32

Hi Guys,

I was arrested and fingerprinted for driving an unregistered vehicle with a suspended license. I work in NY on an H1 and have applied for a GC.

Yesterday (March 17th), I renentered after a 1 week visit to India and the system identified my prints right away.

Quite depressing that I am now identifiable alongside trafficers and thugs.

The officer called another to take me to 'admissability'. There I was quizzed for about a minute and notes were entered. I did not ask what they were writing. I was finally asked if I had any priors to which I repsonded with a no, and was let in.

I don't know if I will be lucky each time, but thought I should share this encouraging experience with other 'evil doers'. Seems like unless you've done something especially heinous, customs won't bother with you.

Please post if you have anything to share or insight into this issue.

I don't know if I will be lucky each time, but thought I should share this encouraging experience with other 'evil doers'. Seems like unless you've done something especially heinous, customs won't bother with you.

It is wrong to assume this would be true for even some, let alone all, similar cases. Each case is separate and unique, and there is no precedence applied to assessing each person entering the U.S. Suggesting that customs and border patrol (CBP) "won't bother you" unless you have done especially heinous is bad advice.

What have you done about the matter? Did you get a Lawyer involved regarding the matter. Was there any DUI involved? Why was your License originally suspended? Did you have any form of Insurance cover?

No DUI and I did not seek legal help. I had insurance but the vehicle was unregistered. My license was suspended due to my non response to multiple 'surchargeable offenses'. ( I was invloved in an accident). They kept sending notices to an old address and I was unaware my license had been suspended.

It is wrong to assume this would be true for even some, let alone all, similar cases. Each case is separate and unique, and there is no precedence applied to assessing each person entering the U.S. Suggesting that customs and border patrol (CBP) "won't bother you" unless you have done especially heinous is bad advice.

Agreed, not the best advice. I am revisting India in 2 weeks. We will see if they let me in again. I am not sure waht actions they can take at POE. I'm pretty sure they can cancel my h1 if they decide to. Too bad, one can't phone a lawyer from inside the airport.

Archived