Quitting full-time PhD to OPT to H1B

johnmac

Respectfully, I do not think that a STEM visa, should it come to pass, will create a 'wild west' with respect to an uncontrolled number of foreign students graduating with Masters and Ph.D.s from any accredited U.S. university and then getting permanent residency (green card). First based on the STEM visa bills that have been proposed to date, I strongly suspect that there will be an annual limit / quota on the number of STEM visas (e.g. the 55,000 number I previously referred to, which is based on current graduation levels). Therefore, a notable increase in the number of eligible graduates will cause an oversubscription and backlog for STEM visas. Second, it will not surprise me if STEM visas are restricted to graduates from recognized universities on an USCIS approval list. (Based on the aforementioned, transfers would not be material as it would be the university where the foreign student graduates and gets their degree, not the one where they started going to school.)

We can agree to disagree. Only time will tell.

I was talking about private univ coz they are much more in number than public univ. I don't know of any legal mandate for Public Univ to take local students. And CA is not the whole country !! By the way Public Univ in CA, MD etc give in-state tuition to illegals, why do you think they will not prefer foreign students over locals?

We can agree to disagree. Only time will tell.

I was talking about private univ coz they are much more in number than public univ. I don't know of any legal mandate for Public Univ to take local students.

It usually is in the state laws. The states finance the public universities, and because of that, the states get a say in the admissions policies.

By the way Public Univ in CA, MD etc give in-state tuition to illegals, why do you think they will not prefer foreign students over locals?

A non-sequitur.

The in-state tuition for illegals stuff in CA, etc. is also mandated by state law. The states have control over the public universities within their borders. That's why they are public universities.

Please educate yourself about these things before making some weird assumptions.

Following is the latest information on permanent residency for STEM advance degree holders coming out of the Senate and the House in conjunction with their respective comprehensive immigration reform negotiations.

"The bill is expected to include unlimited green cards for science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) advance degree holders. It would likely set restrictions on eligible schools, similar to a House bill that limits eligible green card candidates to advanced degree STEM graduates from research universities."

From this information, my "strong suspicion" may not be correct, but there will be control on the number of visas through "restrictions on eligible schools" (e.g. "recognized universities on an USCIS approval list").

Archived