Is Stamping required if going out of USA with expired I-94

SeemaKrish

I am in US on H1B, I-94 is expired in 2010. Now I am going to Canada for 10 days and planing to return back to US.

Is Stamping required if going out of USA with expired I-94 ?

I have read somewhere that stamping is not required if you are going for less then a month as I have valid I-797 (Expiring End of 2013) . Is that true.

Please Advice.

-Thanks

If the date on our visa stamping expires even if out go into Canadian territory for a minute, you need to get stamping... i797 is different from visa stamp. If you have i797 your staying here legally, but once you are out of this country you need us visa.

And you said, your i94 expired in 2010. You don't have the new i94 in new I797. If not I guess, you are legally out of status for whatever time. Check with your lawyer. They would have i94 which may not have been share with you.

But in any case you need to visa stamping.

If the date on our visa stamping expires even if out go into Canadian territory for a minute, you need to get stamping... i797 is different from visa stamp. If you have i797 your staying here legally, but once you are out of this country you need us visa.

No that's not true always, OP can use AVR if he is visiting Canada for less than 30 days. But AVR doesn't work if 94 is expired.

Archived