H1B laid off, waiver of airline ticket

kittycat

I was recently laid off and am actively looking for new jobs. My employer asked me to sign a waiver of airline ticket upon termination.

Do I have to sign the waiver?

I understand that if I sign the waiver, I give up my right for the return airline ticket to my home country.

What if I don't sign the waiver? Would there be any negative consequences?

What if I don't sign the waiver but not ask my employer to pay for the return trip, either assuming I eventually find a new job?

Thanks a lot for all your input!

Thanks for reminding me about the experience letter. This is something I am worried about if I don't sign the waiver.

I am also concerned about JoeF's response, would I be in trouble if I do sign the waiver to avoid trouble obtaining experience letter in the future?

Thanks a lot for your input!

If you are goint to use the ticket in the new future then dont sign it. If not simply sign it so that it wont be a problem to get your experience letter from him. The employer is required to give them one way ticket to your homecountry on layoff

If you are goint to use the ticket in the new future then dont sign it. If not simply sign it so that it wont be a problem to get your experience letter from him. The employer is required to give them one way ticket to your homecountry on layoff

Thanks for reminding me about the experience letter. This is something I am worried about if I don't sign the waiver.

I am also concerned about JoeF's response, would I be in trouble if I do sign the waiver to avoid trouble obtaining experience letter in the future?

DO not sign any such letter.

Remind the employer that you can't sign your rights away that way, because you have the right to the ticket under the law.

Any employer with a clue would know that already.

Do I have to sign the waiver?

I understand that if I sign the waiver, I give up my right for the return airline ticket to my home country.

What if I don't sign the waiver? Would there be any negative consequences?

What was offered as a part of the termination package? Did they offer an additional amount in lieu of an air ticket? You need to check the language and the whole termination package before signing a waiver.

Thanks, JoeF.

I am a bit concerned that if I say no, my employer may later hold this against me when I need an experience letter from them for green card application. Any recommendation on that? Many thanks in advance.

DO not sign any such letter.

Remind the employer that you can't sign your rights away that way, because you have the right to the ticket under the law.

Any employer with a clue would know that already.

No package or anything was offered, it is a simple clean lay off, I was simply informed which date would be my last working day.

The waiver just says that I understand the employer has the obligation for the airline ticket to my home country but I decline such an offer from my employer.

Doesn't look like too many folks running into my situation, I am trying to understand the consequences carefully before making the decision to avoid possible future trouble due to my legal ignorance.

What was offered as a part of the termination package? Did they offer an additional amount in lieu of an air ticket? You need to check the language and the whole termination package before signing a waiver.

Archived