Question about Eligibility for me

k110380

Hi everyone

I have got my GC in Nov1, 2011 and I would like to be eligible for Citizenship 5 years from now i.e. by Nov 1 2016.

Here is my situation: I would like to get married in India and stay over there for 2 years with my wife.

So I plan to take up a job in India for 2 years and use re-entry permit to travel to India.

1) Since I do not want to break continuous residency, I have to make trips to USA within every 6 months (trips will be only a few days to 1 week duration) - I wanted to use N-470 to avoid these frequent trips but I heard that there is no guarantee that N-470 will relieve me of staying outside USA for more than 6 months. Also, I do not know if USCIS will even approve N470 even though I meet all requirements for it.

So my question is that coming back to US for 1 week duration every 6 months enough to justify that I did not break continuous residence?

I got to know that sometimes I can even stay outside USA for 8 months and still it does not break continuous residence. Is it a reasonable assumption?

Assuming my N-470 is approved, will it guarantee that I dont need to make any trips to USA within these 2 years.

2) Another question is : can I sponsor family based GC for my spouse in case I get married during my 2 yr stay in India.

Thanks

You need to make sure your job is such that you qualify for filing the N-470 since you say you are going to be looking for a job in India. You are probably referring to a Re-entry Permit. Making a trip every 6 months by itself will not protect you. You would need to file taxes on worldwide income and may have to provide proof of say a residence here. You can sponsor a GC for your spouse in India. I would suggest that you discuss the issues with the firm of Murthy or any of your choice to make sure you take the right approach.

Thanks pontevecchio!

Is there any restriction on the type of job I can take in india? I thought as long as I am working in an american firm and they can give me a letter detailing my job description - it should be fine. what else is needed?

I plan to definitely pay US taxes even though I am in India. But how can i maintain residence in USA? Is it really necessary?

If yes, then I may need to ask my cousin to add me in his lease.

Also, can I file family based GC for my spouse while we are in India or do I need to make a visit to USA to file it?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived