H1B Salary Not Paid For 1 Month

H1_Conundrum

Hi,

I have confusion regarding my situation. I would appreciate if somebody can help.

I came to US in 2012 Jan on H4 visa which was valid until Oct 2013. I applied for H1B and got it approved and it is valid from OCT 2012 to OCT 2015 as stated in my I-797. Since I am working as a consultant, my employer could not find me a job until November 2012 as such he didnot pay me for the month of Oct2012.

My question is,

Was I on H4 or on H1B for the month of Oct 2012?

Since I was not paid in OCT, will it affect my immigration status?

Should I ask my employer to pay me for October month too?

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Hi,

I have confusion regarding my situation. I would appreciate if somebody can help.

I came to US in 2012 Jan on H4 visa which was valid until Oct 2013. I applied for H1B and got it approved and it is valid from OCT 2012 to OCT 2015 as stated in my I-797. Since I am working as a consultant, my employer could not find me a job until November 2012 as such he didnot pay me for the month of Oct2012.

My question is,

Since I was not paid in OCT, will it affect my immigration status?

Should I ask my employer to pay me for October month too?

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

On H1 you need to get paid every month.

No. You are on H1 from the start date of the H1 on.

And you need to get paid while on H1, even if the employer doesn't have work for you.

That's the law, and the employer knows it.

If the employer doesn't want to pay you, file a complaint with DOL on form WH4. The DOL will make the employer pay you.

Thanks everyone for your replies! Really appreciate the help.

I spoke with my employer and he continues to insist that one month unpaid salary is not a big deal as they have been doing this for other employees too. He is saying there wont be any immigration issues or concerns. I really do not want to drag this issue unless it creates immigration problems in future, like GC processing so on.

Is it okay I just leave this issue now?

Thanks everyone for your replies! Really appreciate the help.

I spoke with my employer and he continues to insist that one month unpaid salary is not a big deal as they have been doing this for other employees too. He is saying there wont be any immigration issues or concerns. I really do not want to drag this issue unless it creates immigration problems in future, like GC processing so on.

Is it okay I just leave this issue now?

It is likely to cause problems later on.

File a complaint with DOL on form WH4. The DOL will make the employer pay you.

And you should find another employer, one who follows the law.

Archived