L2 to H1B (H1-B Cap) extension process

rockarthik

This my history:

Currently I am in India and never travelled to US.

My H1B expired on Aug 31st 2012

H1B extension applied on August 15th 2012 - Still status is in-progress from UCSIS

Got my L2 approved on November 1st 2012. Where my old h1B visa paper in passport is sealed.

Here are my questions:

1) Will my H1B -extension petition applied by employer is still valid?

2) Currently I quit my employer and I am coming to US through L2. If my petition gets approved, how to know the status? Petition number is not shared with me.

3) If I get my H1B extension approved while I am in US L2, can I work in H1B?

4) After getting EAD for my L2 and if new employer wants file fresh h1b petition, Am I eligible for h1B extension? If yes, how long it will take to get my h1B extension approved? What are the consequences of this?

5)In my L2 interview, my expired H1B visa page is sealed in passport. What does really mean? Did I loose my H1B status and come under quota again?

You do know that you can work in any field for any employer on the basis of the L2 EAD.? The only salient fact from your post is that you would seem to have been cap counted and hence can find a H1 sponsor to file a non cap H1 for you at any time. Since L2 periods do not count for the 6 years in H1 status you would do well to think twice before rushing in.

Archived