Pre-Planning New 5-Year Visa

visavatar

Is it possible to apply for a new 6-year visa such that it starts in March instead of October? Although my 6-year visa doesn't expire until Oct 2013. I'd like to leave the US on or before April 2013.My hope is that I'll find a company that wants me to come back in April 2014, and will let me work in one of their internation offices in the interim. Given that, can I apply for a new visa in April 2013, with a desired entry date of April 2014?

To get a new 6 years on H1, you have to be outside of the US for one year before an employer can file an H1 application.

And the application would have to be under the quota.

An application can be filed up to 6 months before the start date, so an application subject to the quota can be filed the earliest on April 1, because the US fiscal year starts on Oct. 1.

Thanks for the reply Sameer. Do I have to stay out of the US for a certain period before I can apply for a new visa come April 2013? I'd think that if I left right now, that I should be able to, right? Thanks again for taking a look at this thread

To rephrase my question, do I have to have left the US in April 2012 in order to apply in April 2013?

Archived