H1B Part Time - Options

panacheM

My H1-B started last week on Oct 1st, 2012 after my OPT cap gap period ended. I want to work part time to take care of my baby (due to some strong reasons). Me and my husband work in the same company and there have been numerous layoffs going on here and its very risky to quit my job now (just in case if my husband loses his job, will have no options). So, I want to keep my job as mine is much secure than his. There is not sufficient work here in our team and managers will be more than happy if I can work part time. But before asking them if I can, I want to clarify certain things.

1. Will I be able to sponser H4 to my husband if I work part time on H1.

2. Are there any other options to maintain my H1 with valid job, but without working at all for few months, may be like goin to India on unpaid leave or sth else (I know I'm asking a ridiculous question but, please understnd)

3. How much does it cost to my company to file an amendment. Is it sth like 375 or same like a new H1 filing? ( Asking this because my company will not spend too much at this time of budget cuts, so before talking to them I wanna make sure).

Please help. TIA

Archived