Unpaid Vacation time in India

herohiralal

I am currently on H1B visa which is already stamped and I am planning to go to India for 3 months on a unpaid vacation. My employer is ok with that but I am not sure how long can I take a holiday? Also, will I be asked questions by immigration officers while entering the US about the Holiday cause I wont be on the payroll for that time period. And does it have to be a medical emergency or can I simply say that I took a vacation?

I heard somebody got deported because person was on personal leave for 5 weeks. Immigration officer said and I quote if your company can survive w/o you for 5 weeks then it will survive. But also I know someone stayed in India on 6 weeks vacay and faced no problem. So it would be case to case. I would suggest make it medical trip and produce some documentation for it.

@herohiralal To begin with please do not call it a three months vacation, as no employer will give you such a vacation from an on going project, so it can only mean you are getting of a clients project and do not want to look for another right away but need some break and going Home.

In this case since you may very well be asked to show the client letter attesting that you are going to join them when you get back.

@applying4usvisa your analogy to suggest OP about claiming medical reasons to take a break does not make sense, If someone can be sent back stating if the company can survive while you were gone, the obvisously, this guy will be gone for 3 months, and the company had survived his absense.

Archived