221g yellow in mumbei for H4 visa

H4221gmumbai

Hello all,

Below is my case,

I am a Full time employee with public software company from more than 3 years in US(CA).I had my H1B approved in 2010 and got my H1B stamped wtih no issues when I visited india in may 2011 ( I was on F1 before).I went to india in Feb 2012 again and got married. I had applied for my wife's H4 visa on 23rd july 2012 at mumbai consulate.

VO asked her common questions as where is you husband, whats his job, salary, etc. At the end of interview he says " everything looks good with your case, but you will still need to go through administrative processing", and issued her 221g yellow with no documents asked. He said keep checking website and submit your passport once you see you application bar code number on the website.

It has been more than 9 weeks, no update yet. Bar code number has not appeared in online file(PDF), also no email or phone contact from consulate.

I Have sent them email thrice, everytime they reply with same email template asking me to wait till processing is completed with no further information.

Can you please suggest if I should reapply for her visa. ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply.

Just watnted to update, its been more than12 weeks now and have received no updates from consulate yet. Is there any one facing similar situation? can any one please share the exprience which may help ?

I am aware that all cases are treated differently, But knowing some one had gone through similar situation and got the issue resolved,this may give us hope.

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

I wanted to provide an update on the case I mentioned above. So finally, after wait of nearly 6 months, my wife got her H4 visa.

All this wait was due to incorrect communication from Mumbai consulate. Apparently, her admin processing was completed in 10 days from interview, and consulate sent her an email regarding submitting her passport for stamping (we never received this email). We have been contacting VFS/USvisa services multiple times and asked them about the status of application, but they always kept saying that it is under processing and we have to wait. But turns out VFS does not have any information of your case. They will only know what you see online. It is waste of time talking to them.

After waiting for 5 months, I contacted US senator from my state. His office sent an inquiry to US embassy in Delhi (interview was in Mumbai). Visa chief in Delhi replied with email saying they are waiting on her passport to submit. When my wife went to Mumbai consulate to submit her passport, they say, we don’t have any record showing your application has been processed and we can not accept your passport. Finally, VFS guys in Mumbai called some one from US consulate, that lady from consulate talked to Delhi office on phone and then they accepted her passport and gave it back after three days with visa.

It is all about our bad luck and their bad communication. If you are waiting for admin processing and it has been more than 120 days, contact a immigration lawyer or try for congressional inquiry, which may not speedup you process, but will give you some information atleast.

All the best.

Hello,

I can surely give you the sample of letter I sent. But just wanted to point out few things, which I came across while I was working on my wife's visa(offcourse I am no lawyer, but you should verify it). when you file a visa application(DS-160), it is only valid for one year(365 days). If your application has not been processed in one year, it will expire automatically. So please check how long you have before you hit 365 days. Also, Once you send letter to senator, they will send inquary to state department and then you will get reply back. Lets hope it happens soon. Please let me know how to sent you sample of letter.

• 6 months later...

Archived