H1 transfer & GC issues

mjsmithjones

I work for a fortune 500 company on H1 visa, currently on 3rd year of H1b.Company has also strated my GC but no updates as to where in the process I am. Now I have a good offer from a start up company which is ready to transfer my H1 and they will start GC after 1 year.

Now my question is is there a prerequesite on which companies can file GC? It is a private company. It is legit company and into research and developement. with appprox 100 employees.

Who can I take consultation from?

Depends on the company- usually you will find bigger companies apply for green cards more regularly and they have a process in place. Smaller companies dont usually apply for greencard that often so they may initiate your greencard immediately or whenever they like. Smaller companies want to invest on a good employee. Just remember if you move to the new company in a certain position and work for 1 year and then they apply for greencard for the same position after 1 year, then your one year experience wont count towards your greencard. So its better if they start early. No point waiting for 1 year, unless the companies want to make sure you are worthy of greencard. Really honestly companies do that for their own benefit....

Archived