dependent minor

thanks pontevecchio. Must admit am confused. The reason is that when my aunt naturalized, she sponsored her adult children(who had kids--my aunt's grandchildren), and when my aunt's children's priority dates got current, the minor grandchildren also received green cards. I don't understand what would make a mother, who's being sponsored by a parent, have derivative effects on her minor children, whereas a mother sponsored by a child, will not.

it is also quite strange, especially if the mother has a very young child and will have to be separated from her.

thanks pontevecchio. Must admit am confused. The reason is that when my aunt naturalized, she sponsored her adult children(who had kids--my aunt's grandchildren), and when my aunt's children's priority dates got current, the minor grandchildren also received green cards. I don't understand what would make a mother, who's being sponsored by a parent, have derivative effects on her minor children, whereas a mother sponsored by a child, will not.

It is explicitly spelled out in the law. Dependents of immediate relatives are not included.

The rule is spelled out in 8 CFR 204.2(f)(4):

"(4) Derivative beneficiaries. A child or a spouse of a principal alien who is approved for classification as an immediate relative is not eligible for derivative classification and must have a separate petition approved on his or her behalf. "

Archived