H4 and studying MS

140successor

Assuming she is going to come on H4 and assuming she gets admission into a university after coming here, does she need to file anything (any paper work) once she starts to attend classes?

No. She can just attend classes.

The university registrar's office will likely want to make a copy of her I-94.

The College/her DSO will tell her. She should have all her transcripts and a person back home who will help if the college wants transcripts sent to them directly. She is looking at one year anyway and so you have time.

The DSO is irrelevant for somebody on H4. The DSO is a specific role for students on F1. Students in other statuses would only have contact with the registrar's office.

Joe/Pontevecchio - Thank you both for your prompt answers.

#1) We are expecting to get the green card in < 6 months once she comes here. So, I don't see any advantage in switching over to F1 after she comes here on H4. Can you please advise if there is any advantage/need in having her change to F1?

#2) Based on your answers above, I am assuming that she can continue on H4 and graduate here with no problem. Can you please confirm?

#1) We are expecting to get the green card in < 6 months once she comes here. So, I don't see any advantage in switching over to F1 after she comes here on H4. Can you please advise if there is any advantage/need in having her change to F1?

Other than working on campus and/or using OPT after graduating, no.

Some curricula, in particular for a PhD, require students to work on campus as teaching assistant for some quarters/semesters. Stuff like that is not possible on H4. But that's probably not needed for a Masters degree, and even if, it could be delayed until she files an I-485 with EAD.

#2) Based on your answers above, I am assuming that she can continue on H4 and graduate here with no problem. Can you please confirm?

Yes.

• 4 weeks later...

The DSO is irrelevant for somebody on H4. The DSO is a specific role for students on F1. Students in other statuses would only have contact with the registrar's office.

JoeF respectfully, that is not always the case. The (major public) university where my two kids go to school requires all foriegn students go through the international students services office, DSO, etc. regardless of visa type (F-1, J-1, H-4, etc.). My kids were/are on H-4 visas and are considered in-state residents for tuition since we have been in the U.S. for many years and they went to and graduated from a high school in the state. The only waivers from all other international students they got was the TOFEL and GRE because they went to a U.S. high school and scored high enough on the English sections of the SAT and ACT.

JoeF respectfully, that is not always the case. The (major public) university where my two kids go to school requires all foriegn students go through the international students services office, DSO, etc. regardless of visa type (F-1, J-1, H-4, etc.). My kids were/are on H-4 visas and are considered in-state residents for tuition since we have been in the U.S. for many years and they went to and graduated from a high school in the state. The only waivers from all other international students they got was the TOFEL and GRE because they went to a U.S. high school and scored high enough on the English sections of the SAT and ACT.

I myself have studied at a major public university while on H1, and while the International Office originally wanted me to attend some kind of "mandatory" info session, I told them that I am on H1, and they never again bothered me...

Granted, this may differ from university to university, in particular since it seems to be hit or miss regarding the knowledge of the staff in the international office. But a DSO is responsible for SEVIS stuff, and that simply doesn't apply for somebody on J1 or H4 or H1.

And I don't think your kids got exempt from the GRE. The GRE has nothing to do with where a person went to school. Even Americans need to do the GRE before applying to graduate school. I do know that the university I went to doesn't require TOEFL for students who went to highschool in the US.

And I don't think your kids got exempt from the GRE. The GRE has nothing to do with where a person went to school. Even Americans need to do the GRE before applying to graduate school. I do know that the university I went to doesn't require TOEFL for students who went to highschool in the US.

JoeF, first with respect to the GRE, you are 100% correct -- my mistake. I was thinking of the math competency / skills exam the state / public universities where we live require for incoming freshman that are going into STEM (and an number of other) programs (which is exempted for students that passed AP calculus in high school).

With respect to the university that both my son and daughter attend (nationally ranked state school which just broke 50,000 attendance this year), there has been very little difference in the procedures for son between being on a H-4 visa and now a F-1 visa (e.g. meet with the same officers, very similar documentation requirements, check-ins and approvals.) That being said, you are correct that it varies between public and private universities, from state to state, and from school to school.

Archived