Travel back to India with passport validity less than 6 months

candi

Hi,

I hold an Indian passport and it is currently having less than 6 months of remaining validity. I have applied for H1-B Extension which is still pending. Can I travel back to India with the short validity remaining on my passport? Would there be any complications while in transit country or travel back to India? of course, I intend to travel back to India before the passport expiry date. Please advise. Thanks!

Hello Candi,

You cannot travel to India (Out of the country/US) when your case is pending with USCIS unless you don't care what the outcome is and move back for good. If ever you want to come back then stay and renew your passport immediately by attending personal interview at Houston by paying Tatkal service so you can get your new/renewed passport within 3 days. After you're done with that you need to file H1B amendment which would cost $1500 (If Premium), where you (your attorney) can state that new valid passport has been issued to the applicant and you are ALL SET. SMILE NOW.

Thanks,

Lovely

Thanks for the responses! The challenge in renewing the passport is that I should have either a valid Visa or H1-Extension Approval notice otherwise my passport renewal will take its own processing time by the Indian consulate with any other supporting documents that I would furnish. If you have any suggestions for passport renewal without any risk or complications in my case, please let me know.

Hello Candi,

Tatkal service is definitely available in SFO, not sure if its there in Houston, you can send them an email or call them to find out but in your case since you already applied for H1B and status is pending right now I would assume that Immigration officer would approve based on your passport validity ( for sure they will check that) and their website also says that passport should be valid for more than 6months, (If you're lucky enough they might also approve for 3yrs). Also, you need not worry too much because even if your passport expired you can pay an additional fee for being careless and can get a new one by showing he new valid/approved h1b.

Thanks,

Lovely

Archived