My recent experience at POE

wiweq

Yesterday, I returned with my wife from my 4 weeks India trip. Everything went well till we reached thet port of entry. We both approached to the POE officer together. First I handed over him my passport and i797 the officer. The POE officer put the I797 aside and put the date of visa expiry date and employer name on I94. (Ideally, it should be according to I797). I requested him to correct the date showing him the I797 again. After seeing 2 minutes on screen he asked why you leaved such a big employer (employer listed on H1b visa) and joined small company. I said, I was laid off. He kept my passport and I797 with him and issued I94 to my wife. Then he came out of his cabin and said they need more information from me.

I followed him, we went in a room where many people where waiting. After 20 minutes wait they called my name. The interviewer and I went in a room. He had some papers and computer screen in front of him.

He asked, so you came in USA in 2005 first time. I said, yes, Aug 21st 2005. What was the purpose? I said, I came to do MS in MIS from ****. What is MS? I said, Masters of Science

Then he asked me thoroughly about my all grades, my intern employers, FT employers, clients, dates of hire/ termination and reason of termination. He was rude and saying all of my employers and my job fraud. He said, because all of your employers were fake and fraud, they revoked your H1b 4 times in two years. I said I was laid off two times and rest of two times I was the one who left the jobs. This was the reason of my 4 H1b revocations, and I am planning to change my employer again as I am looking for fulltime position. I added, as per my understanding I was paid all the time from all employers and I was paid good severance package when laid off. In my view, all were good employers to me. Then he said, so other jobs were part-time jobs? No, all were fulltime jobs, I mean, I am looking for permanent position. He wanted to make sure after each lay off I was in status. I convinced him date by date that I was in status as every time I filed change of status timely and I was never been out of status. Did you pay for H1b filing anytime. I said, no I never paid.

Then he came to my current employer. Currently I am working as EVC consultant. He said where is your employer’s office located? I said, Rochester, New York. Have you been there any time? No, I was interviewed on phone for this position. Is there any vendor between your employer and client? I said yes, *****. Spell it (rudely again). I said, * * * * *. He said you must have reporting to your vendor and client, right?

I said, no I don't report to the vendor, I don’t have any communication with them. I report to my employer. I report by email to *** or when he comes to client place every second week. By these ways I report to him, and tell him if there is any issue with work. How many consultant your employers has at this client? I said, 9. What are the other clients with your employer? I said, as far as I know a, b, and c. He said you can go now and wait in the hall. I came back and sat on the bench. I was ready to go back to India if the destiny wants. At the same time, I was sure that I maintained my H1b status all of the years and was paid all the times, I won't have any problem. After 10 minutes the same interviewer called my name and returned my passport with I94. When returning back to the door, I saw that my I94 still had the old company name and expiry date. I returned to the desk and asked to a lady officer, as per my understanding the name of my employer and expiry dates are wrong on my I94. My H1b was extended and new I797 is with the passport. After review my current I797 she said, who took you interview. I said I don't know his name but I was interview in this room and some tall guy interviewed me. She took my passport and asked me to wait. After 10 minutes the same interviewer came to me and returned my passport. I checked it again and this time it had correct employer name and expiry date.

Moral: 1: Always be in status and get paid.

2. Remember all important dates, name of employers and clients.

3. They will try to provoke you by saying you and your employer fraud. You have to stay calm and answer politely.

4. Have your papers with you. I had my last 6 months paystubs, employer letter and LCA, contact details of my employer, client with me.

5. Never say lie, always be true. See in the interviewer’s eyes while speaking.

6. Be stiff but polite and to the point.

7. Always check I94 entrees before leaving the POE desk

We both approached to the POE officer together. First I handed over him my passport and i797 the officer. The POE officer put the I797 aside and put the date of visa expiry date and employer name on I94. (Ideally, it should be according to I797). I requested him to correct the date showing him the I797 again.

What was the reason for writing down the I-94 expiration date different from I797 expiration date?

"What was the reason for writing down the I-94 expiration date different from I797 expiration date?"

=> He didn't look at the I797. He kept it aside and just put the H1b visa info on I94. He assumed that I797 had same information as visa. (Actually, I797 was changed/ extended for 4 times meanwhile). He should have looked at I797 what I gave him, and enter the same info on I94.

"What was the reason for writing down the I-94 expiration date different from I797 expiration date?"

=> He didn't look at the I797. He kept it aside and just put the H1b visa info on I94. He assumed that I797 had same information as visa. (Actually, I797 was changed/ extended for 4 times meanwhile). He should have looked at I797 what I gave him, and enter the same info on I94.

okay, so your visa expiration date was different from 797 expiration date. And the officer wrote the visa exp as your I94 exp.Am I right?

Archived