Interesting issue. Need your expert opinion.

kataria

Thanks in advance for your help.

My wife had a valid H1B visa and stamp from employer A. She started working for employer B on contract to end client C using H1B portability for a regular H1B visa application filed by B.

Three months after starting with B, while the H1 was pending, she switched to direct employment with employer C using an approved premium processed H1B.

We continued to pursue the employer B pending H1 since those three months that she worked for them should be accounted for. USCIS sent a couple of RFEs and ultimately denied that H1B 9 months after filing and 6 months after joining C. I have not seen the reasons for denial, but I am guessing it is either employer-employee relationship or the fact that we informed them that she has moved on the employer C.

Today, my wife is still with employer C and last month adjusted her status to EAD as a derivative on my I-485.

My question - What was her status for those three months with employer B? Was she out of status? How does it impact the green card process?

Thank you for your response.

She changed status to H1B with employer C while the employer B H1 was still in process.

Then she left the country and entered using EAD, hence adjusting status from employer B H1 to whatever status the EAD gets her. The employer B H1 was still in process when she did that.

The employer B H1 was denied recently after 9 months of processing and she has not left / entered the country since.

Please let me know if you have any comments / suggestions based on the above information?

Archived