Learner's License while waiting for H4 extension

hellothere

Hi there,

My H4 visa's extension has been applied about a couple of months back but, I'm yet to receive the receipt but, my husband's H1B receipt has arrived. Is it alright if I go to the DMV for a learner's test at this time? Or do I need to wait for the approval notice or receipt and then go? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks.

In addition to what JoeF posted, there maybe some other issues related to a drivers license while a visa extension is in process depending on the state. For example, regarding the drivers license expiry date with respect to the visa expiry date, e.g. the DMV may go by the current (approved) visa only for dates, plus needing to know that a visa extension is in process (via the official reciept notification). My daughter went through something similar when her drivers license expired while my H-1B / her H-4 visa extensions were in process. She got a temporary drivers license and had to go back to the DMV after she got her H-4 visa extension to get a proper renewed license.

Archived