R2I after 2.5 years on GC

Hello All,

I am thinking of delaying my R2I (to help my parents) by a year so i can complete 2.5 years on GC.. I got my Green card August 2011 and am eligible May 2016. I am thinking of moving back Jan-June 2014 timeframe and plan to maintain GC for 2 years by making frequent trips (within 6months) and finally coming back to US in Jan 2016 to finish the mandatory 3 months period and apply citizenship in May.. Does anyone see any issue in this approach?

I am thinking of moving back Jan-June 2014 timeframe and plan to maintain GC for 2 years by making frequent trips (within 6months) and finally coming back to US in Jan 2016 to finish the mandatory 3 months period and apply citizenship in May.

I would advice caution, as moving out of the U.S. with maintaining ties and frequent vists back (even with a re-entry permit), and even for family reasons, has been considered abandonment of permanent residency and resulted in cancelation / loss of status. I read an article yesterday on ****** "for July 10" on this very topic (a direct link to the article did not post last time). The most secure solution is to get U.S. citizenship before spending periods of time outsite the U.S.

Archived