Urgent info needed on H1 transfer - Layoff in progress

phulekaranuradha

Hello all,

My company has given me 20-25 days after which they will terminate by job. This is a full-time position that I have. I am currently on H1B. I am now trying to transfer to another company but am not sure if I will get interviews and an offer in just 20 days.

So, what are the options I have to remain in the US now? Are any of these options valid?

1. Can I change to F-1 by going to a community college or something? And say after 3 months, I get a full time offer, can I switch it back to H1? Will I again have to go through a lottery for H1 that time?

2. Is there any other visa I can change to now, without having to go through a H1 lottery all over again?

3. Any recommendations for any companies that may do H1 transfers quickly, within the 20 day timeline I am working against?

Please provide some thoughts and guidance. Thank you!

Reena.

An F1 is for studying, not for "bridging" some time.

If you want to have some time to find another job, changing to B1 would be appropriate.

If you decide to go back to your home country, the employer has to pay for your flight, by law (not for dependents, though.)

1. Can I change to F-1 by going to a community college or something? And say after 3 months, I get a full time offer, can I switch it back to H1? Will I again have to go through a lottery for H1 that time?

=> Technically you can switch H1b -> F1 -> H1b but it's not recommended as its misuse of F1. Better to go with B2 visa. While filing B2 you can clearly mention your intention that you want some time to pack your bags before leaving. F1 is made for intention of studying, of course to complete the course.

2. Is there any other visa I can change to now, without having to go through a H1 lottery all over again?

=> Google Visiting visa. Prepare form I539 to COS to B2 and file it on the day of layoff.

3. Any recommendations for any companies that may do H1 transfers quickly, within the 20 day timeline I am working against?

=> Visit boards. ATB.

Archived