Immigration changes

hellosrpm

Hi, My son came here to the USA when he was 14 years old and he has been living in the USA for 8 years.He is on F1 visa and he is a freshman in a university in Wisconsin paying non-resident tuition fees. I am just wondering whether my son benefits from the new changes in immigration law announced today by the President.

Thanks

He has an F1, and would likely not fall under the classification in the new rule.

But you should discuss this with a good immigration lawyer. This new stuff is still in flux, and there is a possibility that Mr. Rubio introduces his DREAM proposal, since this announcement has put the Republicans into a bind, so they have to do something.

My kids are in a similar situation (except where we live the state recognizes them for in state tuition). My son was H-4 and now F-1 as he turned 21 and is graduating next year. My daughter is H-4, just graduated from high school and will be starting college this fall. I heard from a lawyer regarding this specific question that the DHS deferred action announced on Friday provides NO BENEFITS FOR LEGAL IMMIGRATES (with valid visas), e.g. no employment authorization, no social security number. The announcement does not change any laws.

My wife and I are very upset that illegal immigrants get employment authorization, and legal immigrants awaiting an available permanent residency visa get nothing, and our kids “age out” at 21, losing their opportunity for permanent residency!

Archived