H1 Transfer before activation

shyam_t_e

Hi,

I am currently working on L2 EAD and my employer (a consulting company) has filed my H1B petition on April 2012 and I am still waiting for the approval notice. Meanwhile the client I work for wants to hire me full time and wants to know from when I can start working with them directly. I would be starting on my H1B status with my current employer from October (but I have been working with them for the last 1 year on L2 EAD status).

So now my question is from when can my H1 transfer be initiated? Can I do it immediately after my H1B approval notice comes in (sometime in June 2012) or should I wait until October 2012? Also assuming if i can initiate only on / after october, can i initiate in October itself or do i need to wait for a couple of months after October for my payroll run in H1 status?

I am slightly confused on this now, and any inputs on this would be highly appreciated!

Thanks

S

If you get cap counted once with A then the client can file a H1 petition for you not subject to the cap. Ask the client to file if they are interested. Also apply for and get the L2 EAD just in case. One can have multiple H1 petitions on file. In your case you do have the L2 EAD to fall back on and buy you time.

Archived