Urgent --- A gap in the expiration date of my I-94?

clxsjs

When I returned to the United State last summer, I obtained an I-94 on which the expiration date was April 15th, 2012. It was different from the expiration date on my H4 approval notice (I-797 form, which was June 30th, 2012.

To ensure my status continue to be valid, my husband and I turned in his H1 and my H4 extension request in March 2012, and got the approval notice last week, The new I-94

attached to my extended 797 form is valid from July 1st 2012 to June 30th 2015.

So it looks like there is a gap in the expiration of my I-94 between 4/16/2012 - 06/30/2012, even though the I-94 # is the same.

I am wondering if this gap is shown in the USCIS or CBP system? Is my status still valid during the gap? Is it necessary for me to correct the expriation date on my old I-94 through CBP or to correct the start date on my new I-94 through USCIS?

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think you need to do anything. As far as your status is reinstated within 6 months. Besides, when I spoke to CBP office NY last month, the officer told me that the I-94 information for a person gets overwritten by the latest issued document. In other words, the I-94 are not tracked like visa documents on your USCIS file. So once you are past July 2012, the USCIS entry will show you in status.

This is just an CBP officer's word. I am not a lawyer to certify the statement but you may want to check it with your lawyer.

Hope this helps,

Atul

Archived