Laid off yesterday on H1B, What are my options? Please help.

deepth

Hello Everybody,

I got laid off yesterday with a 7 weeks severance package, which is payable in 7 installments over next 7 weeks. I was on H1B (startDate- 12/1/2011 EndDate- 11/30/2014) till yesterday. My EAD/OPT startDate- 06/01/2011 EndDate- 05/31/2012. My H1B has been stamped and I have entered in US last month with H1B only. My wife is also here in H1B. Please let me know what best should I do to maintain my status.

Also, I am also looking for job these days. Once I go to H4 then what are the chances of getting back to H1B (transfer). Which option will you suggest me from the following?

Options:

1. Transfer H1B to OPT/EAD, if it is possible (which I doubt).

2. Transfer H1B to H4 (given my wife is on H1B).

3. Register a new company and transfer my H1 to that company - Pros and Cons?

4. Get a new job and get the H1B transfered to that company - Till what time I can do the job search (grace period?)?

Please help.

Regards

Technically, you are out of status since the last day of your job.....

1. Not possible, your H1 already started, if this happens before your h1 start date then they could have fixed it using data fix error or something... but NOt now.

2. Yes, you can do that, but your Change of Status application should reach USCIS before you receive your last paycheck

3. Not worth it

4. On H1 there is NO grace period. Best thing would be to apply for COS and then look for new jobs.

Apply for Change of Status ASAP

Archived