What is the approximate time it takes to get GC if I marry a GC girl

Hi Every one,

I'm going to marry a girl who got GC. My doubt is after marrying her,

1) can I immediately file for GC or do I need to wait for 1 year or certain period to file GC.

2) Even if I file for GC immediately, What is the approximate time it takes to get my green card.

3) Will I directly get GC if I file or Will I get any other cards like temporary GC or EAD to work or do I need to undergo any different status before I got GC.

4) Under what status I can start working legally in US (approximately what is the time it takes) after getting married to girl with GC .

Thanks in advance.

Goni .MP

There is a quota for spouses of Permanent Residents. See the Visa Bulletin, Family category 2A. It tends to fluctuate between 2 and 5 years.

You can file an I-485 and EAD when the PD is current. Until then, you would have to maintain legal status on your own.

Thanks Joe for reply. Girl I'm going to marry is Green card holder not Citizen or Permanent resident. She got green card through his father. But she was born and brought up in INDIA. She is visiting US once in a year to renew it I think. So is this(Green card) status different from Citizenship and Permanent resident status.

So I have to wait 2-5 years to work if I apply GC through this process.

Archived