L1 to H1

Vanathi

Hi,

I am in US working with company A on L1 visa. Company B filed H1 visa for me and LCA and educational check is succesful. Company B tells that I can start work for them once they receive the receipt of H1 filing even before the H1 gets approval status. Is it correct?

Thanks,

Vanathi.

• 4 weeks later...

YES, THIS IS CORRECT. I started working for another company once they got a receipt from the USCIS. I had no problem renewing H1-B visa with the company I switched to three years later. I am currently in the GC process. So, go ahead and work for another company. It is legal. A very minimal risk is if your new H1-B petition would not get approved (I don't see why it would happen since you are already on H1-B), you will have no job.

I would reiterate for the benefit of any person looking at this thread in future that the OP CANNOT join without H1 approval. I hope the admins are alert enough to correct MOG. Please do not mislead people.

Thank you, pontevecchio. You are correct, a foreign national in L-1 status generally cannot begin working for a new employer in H1B status until the change of status petition is approved.

Archived