EAD validity if I-94 valid by VISA expires sooner??

maverick_amit

[Attorney]

Ordinarily, the expiration date of the EAD will match the expiration date of the petition (assuming this was an individual petition). The expiration of the visa generally has no bearing on the EAD.

Well if you read my post my visa expiry and I-94 have different dates, which can only happen on a BLANKET. So what happens in case of L2 (Dependant L1 Blanket)?

[Attorney]

Ordinarily, the expiration date of the EAD will match the expiration date of the petition (assuming this was an individual petition). The expiration of the visa generally has no bearing on the EAD.

Well if you read my post my visa expiry and I-94 have different dates, which can only happen on a BLANKET. So what happens in case of L2 (Dependant L1 Blanket)?

You are mistaken. The expiration date of a visa is not necessarily the same expiration date of the I-94 on an individual petition. In any case, the EAD will ordinarily be granted based on the duration of the individual's lawful status.

Ok.

• So if my spouse and I have I-94 valid till Feb 2014, we both are "lawfully" present in the US - Correct?
  • If yes, then,in all liklehood, we get the EAD for 2 yrs from now, if we apply now - Correct?

I would need to review your documents and filing history to determine how these rules apply to you specifically. If you are concerned about this filing, I would recommend you schedule a consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

Archived